Troy Springs????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaAdam

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone dove Troy Springs and if so what is it like? Two of my friends just purchased all new BC and Reg setups and they want to do a dive before we head to the Keys in August to make sure they are comfortable with the new gear. I was thinking this might be a good place to this. I know we could head to Ginnie, Devil's Den or Blue Grotto but those are always so busy.

So if you have dove Troy Springs let me know think of it, if you have any other places you would recommend please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam

Troy can get busy as well, its best to get there early. Entry is $10 if I remember correctly and there is a boardwalk that leads down to the spring. In times of low water, there may be quite a large last step into the water - LOL.

The water itself is usually clear(except when the river intrudes into the spring), even though commonly with a green tinge to it. Mostly, its just an OW dropoff, there is a sort-of cavern, and some cave that some crazy midget contortionist has managed to run line through - far to small for anyone with sanity and average size :D

Explore up the run, towards the river, and you'll likely get an eyefull of turtles, mullet, bowfin, ect and near the mouth of the run are the remains of a civilwar era paddlewheeler called the Madison. Not everyday you get a spring dive coupled with a bonified historicish wreck(its really just ribs and spikes).

Short answer, Troy is an awesome OW dive with lots to look at. Probably not worth more than two tanks(at most) in one trip.

It would be a good place to check the new gear. Great vis and if the water is up you can get some decent depth there too. Not alot to see but at the bottom you can peer into the cavern/cave with a light.

Troy is a VERY NICE O/W dive. Ya , that cave entrance down there is PRETTY TIGHT! The water levels on the Suwannee are still way down so as Suprbugman said , watch that last step !!!! ( lol )
I had the hardest time getting INTO Orange Grove last weekend. Now ever the rocks in there that I have NEVER seen out of the water are NOW out of the water.
You might consider a giant stride , but I am sure how deep it gets there by the steps and if that would even be an option.

Jeano of Beano

I agree, Troy Springs is a very nice OW dive and a great place to comfortably try out new equipment. Last time I went the water levels were pretty low and it was a bit of a drop from the bottom step. I think the rocks below the steps are probably too shallow for a giant stride though. It can also be a bit tricky getting back out at the end. I was trying out my doubles there and had to heave them back up onto the bottom step which was well out of the water!

Do a search, please.

You dont have to use those steps. May be easier right now to walk down the walkway then the steps to the left and go around the spring to the left side. Plenty of flat sandy area there to gear up, then you can walk out on the ledge and deop in form there. It should be at about water level I would think.

Troy is a nice dive, not worth more than 1 tank to me on any given day. :) Royal is about 25 minutes away, and very different....You could probably dive both if you wanted to do two dives. Troy is nicer on the surface, but Royal is nice at depth. Troy gets busy too, surprisingly busy some days. Get there at 8am when it opens and you should have it to yourselves for an hour.

I was there about two weeks ago. The water is down about 7 -10 feet but you can still reach depths of 65'. The drop off the last step is about 3 feet to the water, not bad, but you can always walk around to the beach and walk right in. The vis was great in every direction. Not much marine life, but it was a nice dive. Because the water is so low, you cannot swim over the Madison, but you can walk around it (knee to ankle deep).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom