Has anyone been to Venice this week?(7/19)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has been shore diving off of venice this week? The winds have been favorable all week long and I was hoping for a vis report.

I've been watching too, although I think most of the people that normally post Venice conditions have been at the other SB events. There used to be a monthly sticky. Mods, is there any chance of resurrecting that? Colin? Jenny?

I'm in Orlando and rely on the trends people post to make the go/nogo decision. In the winter its easier 'cause you can always head over to the Peace river as an alternate.

The vis I've heard reported the last week or so is 5+/- so if the winds have been favorable I'd say go for it, particularly if you have a yak and can get further out on an incoming tide. I'd like to go this weekend but I'm babysitting a rescue pup that likes to chew (he put a hole in a leather couch night before last, doh!) Wife won't be home so I'm stuck. He's a Catahoula - great dog, just not disciplined/trained yet. I hope he's going to be my boat dog as the other two are terrified of being out on the water.

Good luck and post a dive report.

I went out from Alhambra Wednesday afternoon around 1400 and the vis was close to 15 ft. I always thought the vis was better in the mornings, but lately I've found if you have a high tide and easterly winds, the vis is good even in the afternoon.

I've got to work in the morning, but I'm heading up there in the early afternoon when I finish up. I'll look up the tidal info and post it.

When I get a a few minutes to do some searching, I'll create a CB conditions thread with the info that Jim was putting into them before...

yeah.. .we've been busy.

I went out on Friday 7/20 for my first trip .

Viz was about 12-15 feet.
Very calm water. However the guard "raised the yellow flag" as we were going back to the truck due to potential storm hazard.

Not a bad find for a first timer with several small teeth. Pressure plates and barbs too numerous to collect.

I think I might be hooked

BAB

I was in Venice Monday and Tuesday. The beach was calm as could be Monday but due to commitments of visiting family in the Tampa area I couldnt get wet. Tuesday My son and I went out with Florida West Scuba. This was his first shark tooth dive. We had a great time. The water was warm and calm. We found many small sharks teeth and several small megs. We did get to meet some divers from the Fort Myers area. Planning my next trip to Florida already. Hopefully the conditions will permit beach diving while in Venice.

Well I decided to hold off as the winds changed shortly after my post. It's been raining all day anyway so I guess I made the right choice. I guess if those teeth have been there this long they can wait a little longer for me to pull them up.

I hit the water just after noon and vis was in the 10 ft. range in some spots way out and around 5 to 8 in most areas. All in all it was a good day to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom