Keys in late January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am planning a trip to the Keys for the last week in January of 2008. I wanted to participate in the half-marathon on Key West on January 27th and would like to do some diving in the week after.

But, I am a little bit concerned about the weather and also issues of visibility and general rumors about how "bad" "the Keys" are now for diving. So, my questions are:

1. Is January an okay time to dive in the Keys? Is there a high risk of rough water and closed shops? Is there a difference in visibility, making winter less favorable?

2. What kind of wetsuit would I need? I'm used to 80 degree Caribbean temps and wear a 1 mm for that (although ended up cold at the end of the day). Would tropical booties be okay? Do I need hoods and gloves?

3. It sounds like the diving might be better in Key Largo. Is this true? If so, I could stay a night or two in Key West for the race and then move back up to Key Largo for the rest of the week. Would this be worthwhile?

Thanks, I appreciate any help!

Visibility doesn't change by season. You can find wonderful weather and really poor weather any time of the year. I prefer the diving in the upper Keys, but there's nothing wrong with the diving off Key West.

I wear my 3/2 for the winter months but I get cold fast. Water can be mid 60's to mid 70's depends on your dives. Shops here don't close for the winter months that is our busy time of the year infact we are always busy here it seems. I never wear a hood but wear gloves and boots. I like the Upper Keys for diving but Key West has some nice reefs.
For Viz it depends on the weather and what the winds and currents are doing. We have good days and bad just like anywhere else.

I dove Key Largo last January and Feb. Vis was fine on both trips. Maybe not 70ft but still ok. Seas on average for both trips were 3ft or so. One day we did get blown out during the Jan. trip. 5-6ft!!! Everyone with me just wore 3mm fulls with boots and gloves. No problem with temps at all in the 3mm's. Very comfortable.

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it. I am newish to diving and the ocean in general. Looks like it's time to go wet suit shopping!

It would help us more if you could finish your profile so that we know a little more about you.

What size are you??? I have about 15 womens wetsuits in varying configurations. VERY VERY VERY CHEAP!!! If I dont sell em I am taking to Key Largo next month and leaving with Speargirl for use at her townhouse.

fldiver1:
What size are you??? I have about 15 womens wetsuits in varying configurations. VERY VERY VERY CHEAP!!! If I dont sell em I am taking to Key Largo next month and leaving with Speargirl for use at her townhouse.

Really and leaving your new boat:D

Ummm...no

Sorry dear. Just some smelly rubber stuff!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom