Aqualung reg question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've narrowed it down to two:
1. The Titan Micra- kinda small, diaphram. $495
2. The Kronos- bubbles come out the side, diaphram also. $570
Which one should I get? Is having a side exhaust worth the extra $80. Even though I'm on a budget, I am leaning toward the Kronos.
All opinions are valued.
Spencer

I PMed you about the Micras. As far as prices, those are way too high. My LDS sells the Micras for less than $300.

xSandman3:
I PMed you about the Micras. As far as prices, those are way too high. My LDS sells the Micras for less than $300.
I should have added that both regs come with "free" 1st stage and alternate air source, or octo. Do you thnk, having said that, that I am still paying too much?
Spencer

Yes, even with an octo it's at least $100 too much. Check your PM...I have a couple of Micras for sale if you're interested.

Have you considered the Titan LX?

It's a true workhorse reg that many swear by. I have one myself that I have handed down to my daughter.

Also come with a free octo.

Currently all Aqualung regs bought in the Americas should come with a free octo. I'm not sure about any other regions. Details can be found on www.aqualung.com and the it's called the "Breathe Free" promotion. I didn't find an expiry date on their website, but have heard that there is one. You might need to check with your LDS. PS. Not affiliated with Aqualung, only saw this on their website.

I've dove the Kronos. I both like it & don't like it.

It is a very good breathing reg. The side exhaust does work to keep bubbles out of your face.

However, it exhausts to the right. If you need to have that side down, say when you're hunting a ledge, then you lose this as the bubbles come out & come right back up in you face, right ear, etc.

If you get in the habit of always working to the left & keep the exhaust up it's great.

Don't know which Titan i rented, but it was terrible. I was in the market for a new reg, so at a whopping 30 feet, i breathed very rapidly for a few breaths just to see what the reg would do. I felt like I could not get enough air, like my breathing was restricted by the reg! If that happens at 30 feet, what about deeper? I returned it to the LDS and requested what I really wanted to try... a Legend.

Didn't get the LX version(or whatever one it is w/ the little knob), just the regular Legend, and oh my god what a difference! It almost felt like it had a sixth sense about when I wanted a breath. It felt like it almost started pushing air at me just a split second before I started to inhale! Only time I felt any resistance(and it was slight) was 100 feet down on the USCG Duane in Key Largo, when I ROLLED ON MY BACK to check out the ceiling of a swimthrough. I have the utmost confidence in this rig. The shop met leisurepro.com's price of $450, with free octo. Breathe one if you get a chance, my friend's eyes flashed green with envy when I let them have a try at it!

The Titan you rented must have been in need of service. I have a titan and get it serviced annually. It breathes great down to 90ft which is my deepest dive. I have never gotten water in it no matter how I orient it. If the LX is any better it would be like breathing on the surface out of the water.

The Aqualung Breathe Free program ends July 31st. Just about a week away. By the way, the program even includes Apeks and Air Source II. So if you don't want a traditional Octo, you can go with the Air Source. Or, If you have aspirations of technical diving, or just want a outstanding reg, look at the XTX 200 and octo.

The prices do seem a bit high. As mentioned, ask around. You will find them cheaper on the Internet, but I'd recommend purchasing at your LDS. What I would do, is find a reasonable price make a copy of it and see if they can work on the price a bit. They probably can't match it, but the benefits of buying at an LDS outweigh the cost difference, in my experience.

Good luck. You have narrowed it down to a couple of great regs and I doubt you'll be unhappy with either of them.

Darin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom