USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dynasty

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be in Pensacola soon and have reserved a charter through MBT divers. Just wandering if any fellow scubaboard members have dived the USS Oriskany and what did you think?

It's well worth it!!!!

I dove her on the 2nd. It was a good dive. I am coming back with more of my buddies next month.

Reenlisted on her, awesome dive... Went through MBT and H2O below. Excellent day!

OK, I gotta ask you guys about this. Ever sincce before they sunk this boat (!) I've wanted to dive it. Living in NC, that's a little more of an issue than if I were a Resident Conch. Anyway, I haven't made it yet. My question:

I was in Roatan last week and was talking to one of my friends (who is an instructor) about the Mighty O. Seems that he and a buddy made a trip there recently, and were very disappointed. Said the flight deck was at like 150' or so, and really there was nothing to see.. That though it's billed as the conning tower being a big deal to see (at a much shallower depth obviously), it's really not. He said they did 2 dives, had short deco stops for each, but really felt let down b/c it had been billed as an awesome dive. I have TDI Deco Procedures cert, and have personally been to 185, and this man have been diving a heck of a lot longer than me, and probably a lot deeper, if the truth were known, so I don't think it's the depth issue, though obviously to do safe tech diving, a totally different level of equipment and dive planning is required, if one wants to live to do it again... It's just that he felt it wasn't the big whoop-tee-doo people say it is.

So what is you guys' opinions on that? When you dive it, are you doing tech w/ doubles and deco bottles, etc, or just going down with a big single, and skirting the whole deco issue? Anyone want to say what depth you're going to on it? What's the coolest thing to see on it for you? Or is it just the fact that it's a BIG A-- aircraft carrier? I would love to plan a tech dive on it, but would prefer some get-acquainted dives first, if it's really that interesting. No slams on the boat--- I'm just asking opinions and information. Thanks.

I measured the flight deck at about 137'. There is some variance as it's not exactly level but 150' sounds a little off. It's a ship. What did your friends expect to see?

ReefHound:
I measured the flight deck at about 137'. There is some variance as it's not exactly level but 150' sounds a little off. It's a ship. What did your friends expect to see?

Aquatic farm animals....DUH! :D

Can't wait till I can do "The Big O."

I reserved my spot this upcoming Tuesday. I'm going to make some other dives while I'm in town. What are some other good sites to see there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom