Kona - What to wear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkDZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going to Kona in late September. Anybody have suggestions on what to wear?
What are typical water temps like? I have a 2mm shorty and a 3mm full.

Thanks

Just got back from Kona a day ago - water temps were 81 at the coldest, at 70 ft.

I dove the first day with a 3mm farmer john + shorty jacket. That was too warm so I switched to just the jacket for the rest of the trip.

I'd wear the full suit. But that's just me. I'm a magnet for sea lice!:(

justleesa:
water temps should still be in the upper 70's lower 80's in September.

We have a reference thread in the Ohana forum...it might help you a bit.

Hope you have a great trip!!

Justleesa,

Great thread, full of info! Guess I'll pack both my full & shorty.

Thanks everyone! See you in Kona!

for september the 3mm full will likely be best. I was used to seeing 78F most of the year. But that was Oahu, if you are doing more than one dive a day, your going to want the full suit, anything less you'll get cold. Just remember the surface intervals in Hawaii are not " warm", count on 80F air temp with 10-15 knot wind (assuming the boat is not moving).

Last May we dove Molokini off Maui. The temp was somewhere around 80F depending on who you asked. I wore a 3mm shorty and had no problem. My friends that I was diving with get cold easily and they had 2.5mm & 3mm and aren't shy about complaining about the cold, but they didn't say anything. It also seems that it depends on what you are used to. The DM was originally from the Pac NW and said he used to dive with no wetsuit but after several year on Maui he wear one (3mm I think). There was also a guy from the CA Bay Area and he was diving with no wetsuit. He didn't complain but who knows if he would even if he was cold.

We're going to Oahu in late Aug. I plan on taking my 3mm shorty and doubt I'll have any problem. If you dive here in Calif. I doubt you will need much more that a 3mm unless you tend to get cold and plan on diving a lot.

I'm planning on diving off Catalina in Sept. According to the charts this is the warmest water for Catalina. I'm trying to decide whether to get a 5 or 7mm full suit. Since I've only dived warm water and haven't had a problem I would tend toward the 5mm for more comfort. However, I think its easier to cold off (let some water in) if you are too warm than warm up if you're too cold.

-Mark-

Got back from Kona a few weeks ago and the temperatures ranged from 78 to 83. I wore my 3/2 full and was fine on every dive. I hope you enjoy your trip s much as I do.

Don't be afraid to dive DRY!

:)

I'll be dry Friday and Saturday in HI.

Back
Top Bottom