Is $145 normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm heading out to Fort Walton Beach Monday and hitting up the Oriskany on Thursday. Is $145 normal asking price for a trip to the Mighty-O? I consider it pretty steep for a 2 tank dive with limited food, relatively short travel distance and no air fills or supplied tanks. Am I just spoiled by our boats our here in Cali or am I getting it inmate style? Thanks!

Billy

Wow.... I guess that is a lot of dough for a 2-tank dive

$145 is on the low end for Oriskany trips. It is more than some places charge, but it costs a lot more for the captains to run out there.

It is 26 miles from the coast. Depending on exactly where you leave from. Some dive ops provide a FULL lunch. Not just a snack.

In my experience, Oriskany charters range from $145 to $150. If you can get a group to charter a boat you can get it down to $125 per person in some places. However it stacks up with other places, you can relax and know you are not getting a bad deal for the area.

then go play Golf
Golf ..... a long walk spoiled. Sorry $145 for 20 nautical miles is expensive. I don't care how you "slice" it.

ce4jesus:
Golf ..... a long walk spoiled. Sorry $145 for 20 nautical miles is expensive. I don't care how you "slice" it.

For 52 nautical miles. And you didn't have to swim, they provided a boat. And you didn't have to do maintenance on the boat, they did that for you. And you didn't have to put it in the water, they did that. And you didn't have to tow it there, which will kill your mpg in most cars or vans. You also didn't have to surface to find your boat had floated away, or beg a friend to sit on the boat for a few hours while you dove. And you didn't have to drive the boat for four hours, or find yourself a dive buddy. Morever, I'd say most boats probably have emergency o2 or something, which most boat owners don't carry. Heck, I'm called wierd because I have a fire extenguisher and two radios!

$145 isn't that bad overall. It's alot of money, but it's much more expensive to buy and maintain a boat, and much more work to run it out there by yourself. Oh, and the boat captians probably have USCG captians licenses. I'd trust them to drive a boat :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom