Suggested wetsuit for quarries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachJunkie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been surfing for years but always on the east coast. I have a 3mm shorty and a 3/5 top that I wear with board shorts. These have always been plenty to keep me warm. Now, I don't live in florida anymore and will be primarily diving in quarries around the Ft. Campbell ky area. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good thickness suit to get for quarry diving? I know one of the local quarries stays 75+ in the summer and so my shorty will be plenty for that. But what size do most of you use for quarry diving?

I dive the quarries in N W Ohio where the surface is in the 70's and the bottoms is iin the 50's with 5 mil 2 pc.

I dive in southwest, KY. Although I typically dive dry now, I did dive wet last year. The surface, around here, is about 80 degrees on the surface to about 30'. So there a shorty or even a 3mm full is adequate. From about 30' to about 50' the temps are about 60- 65 degrees. At that You'd probably want to layer to or wear about 5mm. Below 50', the temps stay between, 42- 48 degrees year round. At those temps. a 7mm or even a 2 pc., 7mm would probably be best. Keep in mind that some sites may be slightly warmer or colder at different depths. this is just a general guide.

Now that your in Ft. Campbell, hope you had your chance to enjoy TSAAS w/o having to come back too many Wednesday's in the AM.

Without breaking the bank you can look at the semi-dry suits. My local quarry is 35-38 degrees once you get below 65ft., year round. I can comfortably stay to my NDL's in my semi-dry. You can get into one from $350-$550. Personally I dive a Pinnacle Extreme. The only problem is not going into heat stroke getting suited up and getting to the water, and you really shouldn't pee in them. Also, semi-dry is a very generous term. You get wet, however they are super effecient about limiting the amount of recirculating water.

If I had the money, I would have purchased a dry suit. The folks that dive them, don't seem to complain about wanting to get into the water to cool off.

Good luck!

Here in Kentucky I dive a 3mil shorty under a 3mil full during the summer months.

I dive dry during the early spring and late fall.

I've got a new 5mil with integrated hood for sale, it would fit some one 5'8 to 5'10 up to 180lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom