Wetsuit care and maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any search terms that would difinitively locate another thread like this.

Aside from rinsing your wetsuit with fresh water after a dive, what else do you do to take care of your exposure suits?

How often do you wash them with some kind of shampoo? Only when they stink? On a regular basis? After each trip?

I bought this zipper care stuff too, anyone else use this? How often?

Invest in sink the stink...that is great after multiple dives, consecutive days. Other than that...just a rinse in fresh water if I had been in salt water. If my kidneys/bladder are working over time....now thats another story.

We dive daily and all we do is fill a garbage can with clean fresh water & Tide (our detergent of choice, any one will probably work). Dunk and "wash" all our gear in the can. Hang it up under the house on a hanger and hose off with fresh water.
No salt, no stink, no problems. Been doing it for years.

Wet Suit Care
Packing: Pull the legs and sleeves in about three quarter of the length, as if you were turning the suit inside out. Avoid crushing of the suit.

Storing: All suits should be dried and stored on a hanger specially designed for a wet suit. Hang them out of direct sunlight in a cool, dry place. Direct sunlight can shorten the life of your suit.

Cleaning: Thoroughly rinse your suit after the dive. Use cool or warm water, never hot. Never use the washing machine. Check with your local dive shop to purchase a proper cleaner. Never, use laundry detergent on your suit. We suggest a product called LOC by Amway. (We have no connection with Amway.) To rid your suit of odors, we recommend a couple of caps of an antibacterial mouthwash (Listerine) in your final rinse water. This is also great for your booties. On long dive trips, we carry a small bottle of Febreeze and spritz our suit each evening.

With proper care, your wetsuit should provide years of diving pleasure.

Carolyn
www.liquidfit.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom