Diver Killed by Lightning in Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingsInMyBlood:
crazy, how rare is that and what are the chances eh? crazy.

It sounds like it was his/her destiny..

Bad luck..........:huh:

omigosh...how horrid...I was just asking someone at the Invasion if that could happen or if the water would dissipate it. Very sad.

So he was near it, or it hit him? Could it be as simple as the crack startled him and he inhaled some water and drowned? That would almost be reassuring....the other day in Crystal River we descended with a storm brewing nearby. When we had surfaced, it had blown where we predicted but was still only a few miles away. We were a litle nervous but nothing came of it. That night, we camped in the midddle of nowhere, 5 miles from a road that you could see on a map, further from any civilization (Scubafool gave me directions :) A parking lot for wilderness camping?!?), and I thought hell had broken loose. We had radar (GPS, Nexrad radar) so we could see that we weren't right under a supercell, but for two hours it was huge bolts of lighting just a mile off.....if we had surfaced after a dive to that, I have no clue what I would have done.

scary_water.JPG

Off the upper keys reefs today

:eek:
I guess that guys numbers where just up and it was his time to go.
Being struck by lightning is rare enough and then you have to be out of luck on surviving it too.
Tragic and very unfortunate incident..

On a side note, the person making the graphics for the report could atleast have made sure it said "Diver" and not "Driver" :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom