Monterey 7/21 Macabee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What a crazy day in Monterey, thanks to Laguna Seca. Bikers everywhere. The weather was also crazy - hot! Actually got a sunburn on my back during the SI. Water temps were also warm: 60f at surface, about 58f at 40'.

Dives at Macabee were decent. Vis was about 15-20 feet, less in some areas. Lots to see, and had a harbor seal hang out with us for most of our second dive.

The craziest thing that happened was just after we had decended for our second dive. We were at about 20' and suddenly we see all these birds come diving into the water right above us. I've never seen that from below. Wild thing to see. One of them went straight for my head. I was laughing so hard I almost lost my reg.

All in all, a very fun day in Monterey.

I assume you are referring to the surface temp? Makes sense.

I was talking about the temp on the bottom. I roll in, and the computer's temp doesn't
stablize for 20 minutes. Yesterday, on the second dive, at 15 minutes, the computer
said 50F. At 20 minutes it said 48F and stayed there for the rest of the dive.

I mentioned it because your reported 58F on the bottom seems really high. I think the
warmest I've ever seen on the bottom AFTER LETTING THE COMPUTER STABILIZE in
Monterey was 56F, IIIRC, in the middle of the last big El Nino about 10 years ago.

Some screenshots from SDM. As you can see, both temps were happening a decent amount of time into the dive (29 mins and 26 mins). My analog temp on my SPG was showing the same info. Crazy warm water temps!

Dive #1
dive1.jpg

Dive #2
dive2.jpg

Where were you diving?

Also, you still sounded a little incredulous :) , so spoke with the other two people I dived with, and their computers showed the exact same temps. All three of us have different computers too. I know it sounded bizarre, but I guess that was the magic of Macabee that day.

Turns out it was the next day (I thought you had dived Sunday because you didn't
post until Monday). I did two dives, one on a 90-60' pinnacle off Pt. Pinos, and the
other on the Steam Engine in the deep shale at about 80'. I had 48F on both dives.

And yes, I'm a bit incredulous. 1300 dives in Monterey, and I've never seen it that
warm at depth. Lucky you.

Back
Top Bottom