Coast Guard Saves NJ Wreck Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BILLB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a recent event which turned out well for the diver. As with all accidents, there is something to learn. This diver did very well in self rescue. But was there more that he could have done? Was there additional equipment that could have helped? Please post your thoughts so we all can learn how to better prepare ourselves.

BillB

Coast Guard saves diver
Published in the Asbury Park Press 12/09/02
http://www.app.com/
By CHANDRA M. HAYSLETT, TOMS RIVER BUREAU

LONG BRANCH -- A Toms River man was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard after he did not resurface during a recreational dive off of Long Branch.

Howard Rothweiller, 45, drifted 1 1/2 miles Saturday from the Lady Godiver, a 32-foot dive boat. He was found unhurt five minutes after Rothweiller was reported missing, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. Rothweiller could not be reached yesterday for comment.

A Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City was on a routine Homeland Security patrol when it was directed to search for Rothweiller, when only three of the group of four divers resurfaced, according to the Coast Guard.

Within minutes of beginning the search, the helicopter crew located Rothweiller, who had inflated a 4-foot-3-inch bright orange signaling device to alert the rescue crew. A smoke flair was dropped to marked the location and the Lady Godiver was quickly directed to the area to pick up Rothweiller from the 49 degree water, it said in a Coast Guard news release.

Water visibility was 20 feet. Rothweiller had become separated from his group while making an 85-foot dive in the water on a submerged barge. During the dive, he unhooked a safety line to ascend and was caught by a strong underwater current, according to the Coast Guard.

He surfaced 100 yards from the dive boat, but could not be seen by the Lady Godiver crew because of a sun glare. Strong winds and ocean currents caused Rothweiller to drift away from the dive boat.
+ + +

**HOWARD'S Comments**
Peg,

I am happy to share what happened to me with everyone else so they
may be more prepared to deal with an experience like we had.

The New Jersey Historical Divers Association were diving an unknown wreck site off Long Branch on Sat. We had planned to shoot some video as well as get as much information as we could about the site. We have been exploring the site since last year and still need to put in some work on it.

There were three other divers besides myself on my boat the Lady Godiver (a thirty foot fiberglass single screw vessel). Two of the dives were familiar with the boat and electronics operation and had run the boat before. The wind was out of the South east at 10 to 15 MPH. The waves were 3 to 4 ft, close together and there were white caps. The first two divers in set the hook and after completing their assignment surfaced and reboarded the boat. Gene and I were next up. I explained that I would pull the hook after Gene returned to the boat. I went in first and worked the area I was assigned to as did Gene. After we completed out mission I saw Gene on the hook and he gave me the sign that he was heading up. I swam around and set up a liftbag for a piece f the wreckage that I hoped would ID this site.

After 10 minutes I loosened the hook and started to ascend with the hook in one had and the lift bag in the other. At this point the boat seemed to pull extra hard and the hook was pulled from my hand. I dropped the bag and swam after the hook but after a short distance I realized I would not be able to catch it. I them swam back to the bag which was still within site of the wreck and did a free accent. Upon reaching the surface I saw my boat only 100 feet or so away. There were two of the divers on the rear deck and even though I tried to yell and attract their attention with my hands they didn't see me or make a noticeable attempt to prepare to get me. I then noticed one of them waving and thought they saw me (it turns out they thought they saw something but decided it was only a seagull). I stayed put but after a couple of minutes they went and joined the other diver in the cabin and did not come out for what seemed for 20 minutes (they said only 10 minutes). At this point I though they forgot about me and were eating lunch. I later found out they were discussing the wreck site. You might say I got a little angry $% ##.

I inflated a safety sausage and started to swim toward the boat but made little progress. They emerged from the cabin and realized they were drifting. I saw them take in the lines and start looking for me. They were now at least 200 feet away. They then realized I was not around and started the boat and headed back to the wreck site. They did not head directly back but veered inshore slightly which keep them about 100 to 200 feet away. They seemed to be staying over the wreck site so I decided to drop my weights and start swimming toward them. I figured I would either get to the boat, they would spot me or I would swim into shore (swimming west was very slow going due to the SW wind). Since I was making such slow progress I put my gear on the lift bag and swam away from it hoping that we could possibly recover it later.

After being in the water for about 40 minutes I heard the Coast Guard Helicopter. The first past was in line with the boat, the second was inshore and on the third pass they spotted the red safety sausage. I then attempted to give the hand on head OK signal to the Coast Guard. They called the boat via VHF and advised them that they had located a diver and were hovering over him. The boat than came to my location and picked me up. I had been on the surface for less than one hour and was in good condition. We did one pass looking for the lift bag but did not find it. We then returned to the dock.

One thing of particular interest is that the Coast Guard said they may not have seen me if not for the safety sausage! I now plan on getting some additional signaling devices even though I may not ever need them.

We all had an extensive debriefing as we returned to the dock and decided to make some changes in our operating procedures
Howard

BILLB once bubbled...
This is a recent event which turned out well for the diver. As with all accidents, there is something to learn. This diver did very well in self rescue. But was there more that he could have done? Was there additional equipment that could have helped? Please post your thoughts so we all can learn how to better prepare ourselves.

BillB

<snip article>

While I think the diver in question did well considering what he had to work with, I think a couple of things could have helped.

1) a whistle.
2) a floating line (150m long or so) off the back of the boat, which is pretty much standard procedure on the North Sea, where strong surface currents are common. This would have allowed the diver to swim laterally to the current and get the rope so he didn't drift off.
3) Inflating the DSMB earlier, although it's debatable if this would have helped.

His buddies on board also deserve a round of applause for taking action early.

R..

Diver0001,

1) a whistle.
2) a floating line (150m long or so) off the back of the boat, which is pretty much standard procedure on the North Sea, where strong surface currents are common. This would have allowed the diver to swim laterally to the current and get the rope so he didn't drift off.
3) Inflating the DSMB earlier, although it's debatable if this would have helped.

His buddies on board also deserve a round of applause for taking action early.

R..

1. I was thinking that the ear splitting Dive Alert would be a sound investment. I carry one alone with a whistle.
2. There was no mention of a "granny line" but most boats in NJ do use this line.
3. Who can say what was correct on this item.

Another question. Was ditching the equipment the best thing to do? I assume he was diving backplate with doubles.

Thanks for your inputs.

Nice to read a story with a happy ending for a change!

Good job by the diver having a sausage. I agree with the above comments, when we dive in current we often put out a large tag line (floating line with a tuna ball on the end) in case somone misses the boat. It's nice to have a member of the crew with a pair of field glasses as well. Also, a strobe is a nice thing to have in case one is not found before dark.

Glad to hear everything worked out. But, the crew should of been watching the diver's bubbles. When I crewed on a NE dive boat, we would always have one or two crew members on the bow and stern to watch for bubbles from divers. When it came time to pull the hook, we made sure the we had visual contact with the diver in the water. We also used a tag line with 100 to 150 feet of line and float for the divers to grab.

Eric

Well one item is a whistle,
Second is a set of AOL cdroms. To be used as a signal mirror!!!!
Take two of the cdroms turn the shiney side out clue them together with shiny sides out and you have a double signal mirror.
other is a floating line them three things and of course you sausage are the things that will help good to hear you all right and everyone can learn from this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reading this in the Asbury Park Press (home!) and thinking of my father's terrier attacking the waves in Long Branch in December -- I had never seen her defeated before. How cold was it?! How long did he have? A current line or any of the above couldn't hurt...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom