Spiegel Grove Teddy-Bear Buddha?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
I dove the Grove a couple times this past week and noticed on one of the dives a "Teddy Bear" Buddha at the base of the flag pole.

It reminded me of one of those "honey bears" that you get honey in at the store.
It can't be more than 2 years old as the wreck was on its side until July 2005.

Anyone know the story behind this? (I just figured it would be interesting to hear is all)..

Here is the Buddha at the base of the pole. (Circled in Red)

IMAG0120.jpg

Here is a close up of it.

IMAG0121.jpg

Here is the Buddha's "Guardian". A Damsel Fish (I think) of some sort that anytime you came close to it to rub it's belly, it would come out and 'nip' at your hands. (This fish can be seen in the above pic also on the right).

IMAG0123.jpg

It looks to me like those plastic cookie jars full of animal crackers that you buy at a warehouse club. It looks pretty cool encrusted with sea stuff.

Maybe it is a diver that loved the drove and now lives there.

DebbyDiver:
It looks to me like those plastic cookie jars full of animal crackers that you buy at a warehouse club. It looks pretty cool encrusted with sea stuff.

Yep, it even has the lid. They probably just filled it w/ sand or concrete.

Or...as Skeeter suggested...ashes?

DebbyDiver:

deepstops:
Yep, it even has the lid. They probably just filled it w/ sand or concrete.

Hmmmm.... you know.... now that you mention that... that is what it looks like.

With the "Guard Fish" there, you couldn't get close enough to really touch it.

DebbyDiver:
Or...as Skeeter suggested...ashes?

Hopefully if that was the case of a veterans ashes, they would scatter them instead of leaving them in a jar that could be messed with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom