Morrison and Vortex Springs 7-21 & Morrison 7-22-7 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Morrison Springs 7-21-7

After a bit of dancing around trying to secure some buddies for diving this weekend, Saturday ended up bringing quite a few divers out of the woodwork. I got onsite about an hour early for our 2PM dive time to adjust some gear around(my regs were setup for single tanks and I'd be diving doubles this weekend). I also wanted to take some pics of the site now that everything has been leveled. The structures that used to act as bathrooms, changing rooms, and a diveshop have been toppled, leveled, and dirted over. The pavillion is gone as well, leaving the seawall(benches still attached) as the only manmade structures left onsite(they still have some port-o-potties). I wasn't the only person to show up early. Captain Grumby was onsite and SeaYoda was onsite shortly afterwards. Halftime(who will find ScubaBoard shortly, no doubt) also met up with us after seeing my buddy fishing on MBT's forums. Tony and Josh(both from MBT) were also onsite with a class. eanxgirl was onsite with a different OW class. A group of Tom Smedley's friend had also joined us. Quite a few divers onsite, obviously, then there were the locals...

Visibility in the basin was suprisingly decent, considering the traffic at 30-50' and we made a beeline to the cavern. The typical inhabitants could be found inside cavern; eels, catfish, minnows, rockbass, ect. Hit a max depth of 85' until I hit 1/6ths and SeaYoda and I turned the dive(Captain Grumby and Halftime had already turned at 1/3rds on singles). We all goofed around in the basin for a short period of time before exitting the water after 41 minutes.

We had a fairly uneventfull SI for just over an hour, catching up. Although we were harrassed by a drunken girl(?) from Geneva, AL(she was proud of this, why?). Being dissappointed after not finding any of us to be armed forces or police, she stumbled elsewhere. cmufieldhockey8 was also onsite by this time and she joined us for the second dive. Less people onsite allowed the spring to push quite a bit of the silt downstream and visibility improved to 50-60'. I ran line into the cavern this time and we followed the same dive plan. At turnaround pressure, I spooled everything back up with 2 minutes of NDL time to spare :p I hit a max depth of 88'. We goofed around again in the basin for a short period of time before heading out to dryland for a divetime of 45 minutes.

Vortex Springs 7-21-7

SeaYoda and Captain Grumby headed to Sally's, cmufieldhockey8 headed out to get ready for a cave dive further East(Jackson Blue), leaving the group of Tom Smedley's buddies, HalfTime, and me to join Tom Smedley and Rick Murchison's classes with thier customary cookout at Vortex. After sampling quite a few different sausages, one of the classes decided to do a night dive. Seemed like a good idea, so HalfTime and I jumped in as well. The recent algae blume onsite has been dealt with and visibility was clearer than I've seen in quite some time with visibility in the 25-50' range. It was gin clear the following morning after the silt was allowed to settle. Parking is cut in half at the spring due to the feud between Doc and the new owners, just a little warning. The normal residents were out, bream, bass, coi(goldfish), eels, and rockbass could be found easily. Hit a max depth of 59' for a dive lasting 46 minutes.

Morrison Springs 7-22-7

After crashing for the night in the back of my station wagon, I made it back to Morrison by 8AM. HalfTime would be along for the dives as well. The early times allowed us to enjoy far greater visibility than on Saturday. We had atleast 100' of visibility during our first dive and we followed the same diveplan as on Saturday. I ran line into the cavern and we dove till our turnaround pressures. Afterwards, we goofed around in the basin for a short period of time before exitting the water. I hit a max depth of 88' for a dive lasting 35 minutes.

Another SI for a bit over an hour left enough time for quite a few classes to arrive onsite and get in the water. jvehie was onsite teaching a Search and Rescue Class. Visibility was reduced considerably and there was nearly no visibility just outside the cavern entrance due to particulate and mung kicked up and tumbling in the exitting flow. Outside of this area would clear to about 30' of visibility. As always, the cavern was pristine. Again, we followed the same divetime and at turnaround pressure, I reeled the line in that I deployed on the previous dive. After exitting the cavern, we ventured down the spring run a bit and were rewarded with the sites of bowfin, mullet, and pike. The run is always fun for seeing more wildlife since very few people venture outside the basin - less traffic always means more numerous and more variety of creatures to be seen. Max depth of 87' for a total dive time of 46 minutes.

HalfTime headed back to Vortex to spend some time with the rest of his family and I joined jvehie at Sally's for some bacon cheeseburgers and sour creme and chives fries. Shortly after arriving there, PHD and MDB joined us for a spill. PHD came equipped with laptop and aerial videography and a toy plane in the yard. Had a great lunch and headed home.

Another great weekend at the panhandle springs. Looking forward to cavern classes next weekend for a little more of the same, this time with a purpose - LOL.

Hey can't wait to meet you next weekend! Perrone and I will be working on all my issues :D for the entire weekend that we are there. Thanks for the motel info. It's too sticky warm to sleep in the car. Yeah I am a bit high maintenance lol! Can't wait to dive there, it will be my first! SEE YA SOON!

Happy Diving!
Carolyn:sharks:

Great report! Glad you got a dive in at Vortex. I'll add my weekend to the report:

Met up with a couple cave divers and instructor from Mississippi in Marianna. We checked in with the Sheriff's dep't, gassed up an headed to Jackson Blue. One diver ended up calling it for himself in the water at the surface so it was me and 2 divers with scooters.

There was a thunder and lightning storm brewing when we got in so the topside scenery was pretty..dramatic. Although that doesn't even compare to the scenery inside the cave. Bright white limestone boulders, crevices, wide open spaces, smaller cracks to slip through...all kinds of formations to look at. We scootered in 1k feet (I got to be a human flag holding on to a diver controlling a scooter) and swam back.

The dive was one of the worst I've ever had due to my feet being as heavy as bricks. I didn't notice till we were off the scooters so I was stuck with for the swim back because I couldn't exactly call the dive as we were on our way out anyway. Stupid Jet Fins... Despite that, I still got to play with a scooter in the cave and more in open water (scooters are difficult!) and listen to music through an underwater mp3 player.

We were treated to watching the sky light up from the lightning on our 15 ft stop. Left the dive site after 1 am!

Saturday I did 2 dives at Vortex, the first one was around 9 am and I'd never experienced Vortex so clear. However before that I got to personally witness the feud between Doc and the new owners.

2nd dive was with an ow class then I took a 20 min nap and met up with the crew at Morrison where I had the pleasure of seeing Yoda wave around the dead eel and hear several divers simultaneously go "ewwwwwww" underwater.

Then back to JB for another night cave dive. Swam both ways this time, only penetrated 500 feet or so till somebody hit thirds (airhog!) and we turned it. Expected to go into deco but ended up making it out in time. Max depth 92 ft. My gear issues were fixed and it was a fabulous relaxing dive for me, plus I got to show that I'm not usually as retarded a diver as I was that dive friday night. Somebody took pictures (proof that I actually do this stuff) but I havn't gotten them yet. I'll post 'em if I get 'em.

Carolyn - see ya this weekend!

cmufieldhockey8, thanks for the addition. Hopefully, I'll be able to join you in the caves soon. I'm itching for it, thats for sure.

Good times. I was actually teaching a Rescue class and a seperate Search and Recovery class. Always fun to make everyone wonder if there is a real emergency. Hard to hide a body in Morrison too.

Here's my contribution - pictures of Morrison topside and our first dive, also pics of the fence and water at Vortex:

morrisonupperpano.jpg

morrisongate.jpg

morrisonbeachlookup.jpg

morrisonbeachlookdown.jpg

721m1.jpg

721m5.jpg

721m4.jpg

721m2.jpg

721m3.jpg

721m6.jpg

721m7.jpg

vortexfencepano.jpg

vortexfence.jpg

vortexsign.jpg

vortexwater.jpg

Look at that trim! LOL

721m7.jpg

Thanks for the shots SeaYoda!

Nice pictures there SY.
I still have yet to dive at Vortex. Looking forward to Vortoberfest.

Hey SBM, Did you consume any adult beverages or did Rick's group and did you have any trouble?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom