Silent Submersible vs X Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McKee Boykin

Contributor
Reaction score
How do they compare?

Briefly:

********X-Scooter*************SS N-19
Price****$3625*****************$3950
Weight***33 lbs*****************49 lbs
Burntime**65 minutes*************100 minutes
Quality************Comparable
Support*******Combarable (both superb)

I'm assuming you are refering to the N-19, because it's what is usually compared to the X.

Having not dove the N-19, I cannot compare manuverability, speed, or ergonomics. However, conventional wisdom is that your end use would dictate choice. For example, if your diving is off of boats, consider the weight when lifting the scooter from the water in pitching seas: the X-Scooter is like an aluminum 80, and the N-19 is like an aluminum 80 with a weight belt wrapped around it. Likewise, if your dive profiles are consistenmtly in the hour and a half runtimes, you would need either the N-19 or a longbody X-Scooter.

Be prepared for lots of comments like "well, I haven't really touched them both, but, I think my scooter is better because....". Sheesh. Finding an unbiased diver that has dove both is going to be hard.

My suggestion? Evaluate your needs, then go take a test dive.

All the best, James

I own both a short body X and a UV-37.

If I was just boat diving and was not riding the scooter for more then an hour then i would get an x. If you are doing anything longer then an hour or shore diving then I would get an SS.

The bigger the scooter the more stable it is. The x requires input to keep it from rotating and that tires my wrist after a while. The bigger scooters have the batteries offset in the body to reduce the torque from the motor. Only a big deal after 1 hour on the trigger.

I like both and use them for different things.

If you can ride both them you will see right away.

Cam

cameron:

If I was just boat diving and was not riding the scooter for more then an hour then i would get an x. If you are doing anything longer then an hour or shore diving then I would get an SS.

The bigger the scooter the more stable it is. The x requires input to keep it from rotating and that tires my wrist after a while. The bigger scooters have the batteries offset in the body to reduce the torque from the motor. Only a big deal after 1 hour on the trigger.

Cam

Interestingly enough I have not noticed fatigue from counter rotation on the X. I know it's there. How do you like the burn time on the UV-37? Does it have the same handling characteristics as say a standard Gavin?

X

cameron:

Cam

Maybe your shore diving isn't like ours in SoCal - but I'd much rather have a smaller, lighter, easier to handle Scooter for lugging up and down long, steep flights of stairs and across long plains of deep, soft sand. In full gear.

Also, when the surf is up, like it often is here, I'd rather have something smaller to drop in quickly and yank out easily. Speed is critical in the surf zone, and the X has a great size advantage here.

Like James said, I haven't dived both. But I dive the X a lot, and in the surf here and the associated schlep that goes with shore diving, I can't imagine wanting something longer and heavier.

---
Ken

well there it is Ken, all my shore dives have accesible entry points that I can pull the truck up to within 100 feet of the entrance. I dive the great lakes so don't really have to worry about tide. Any time I do a shore dive it is with a minimum of 1 -3 hour run times so I value the larger scooter and don't really find it a hssel getting it to the shore.

Like I said, each scooter has its benefits. If I was in your situation and had to haul the thing around all the time on and off a beach,I would proably be in favour of the x. But as it stands, carrying the scooter to the boat from the parking lot is alot further then my truck to the shore entry. :)

Burn on the 37 has been what I expected. I have not run it to its max, but I have done 3.5 hour dives with it, granted not on the trigger the whole time. I havnt run the 42 long body yet but I figure it should track better, the 37 is only 2 inches longer then the 18. I hear you can fall asleep riding the 42 they are so stable....:crafty:

cam

I've dived both the SS N-19 and the X-Scooter. Both are very nice and neither would be a bad choice. There are some differences that would make one choice better than the other depending on your needs.

The N-19 is a bit heavier but you get more burn time so it depends on what kind of dives you do. The X is the lightest in this class of tow behind scooters which has obvious advantages, the N-19 is 16 lbs heavier.

For comparison, the X is #33, the SS N-19 is #49. Compare this to my Gavin Short Body (battery run time comparable to the X) at around #68.

A pretty cool feature of the X is that it has 3 different electronic speeds which can be pretty handy. To change the speed of the SS, you have to turn the knob at the end of the propeller (the X has that too).

The smaller the scooter, the more maneuverable. So the X is more maneuverable than the X-19. And the X-19 is more maneuverable than the Gavin Short (or the SS UV-18 for that matter). More maneuverability is great for weaving in and out of kelp, etc but having a larger scooter can be more relaxing since the bigger the scooter, the more it tends to just cruise in a straight line. Don't get me wrong, you can turn a Gavin Short pretty well by grabbing the shroud and pushing or pulling and it goes fine, but weaving in and out of kelp is more task loading than when I'm diving the X.

Also, another factor is what scooters do your diving buddies have. Having the same equipment has it's advantages as far as knowledge, planning, logistics and spare parts go. My buddies with Gavins and I routinely borrow and switch parts and it's very easy to coordinate more technical or complicated dives with the same equipment. I'm sure that's true with owners of X's or SS's.

The trigger and handles of the 2 scooters are pretty different. The X has a T-handle with a trigger and the SS has a T handle that you twist like a motorcycle throttle. I think I prefer the X's but that may be because I have a lot more time on the X than on the SSs.

As far as the counter-clockwise rotational force that is generated from the action of the motor and propeller, yes, I do feel it with both the X and the N-19. Between the two, the felt about the same to me. This means that while scootering you do feel this counterclockwise rotation that you have to compensate by pushing on the handle the opposite direction but it's not that much and I think most divers get used to it and don't notice it.

On the bigger scooters Gavin Short or SS UV-18 you have room to play with the batter position so that you can counter balance the scooter and feel no rotational force while diving it. But enough on that, I'll stay on topic and just compare the above two smaller scooters. The bigger scooters are just a whole different animal.

Solution: you need more than one of each! ;-)

Mr.X:
Terrific report Doc!

Cameron...I wish I had the super sized SS. Those long scooters are soooo stable.

X

Not a comparison between an X and N-19, but I just finished my video on last Monday's dive at Pt Lobos. It was such a spectacularly fun dive for me. I'm on my Gavin and Johnathan is on his X. This is my first time doing video while scootering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSj7Zu-eWBs

Let me know what you think.

Not a comparison between an X and N-19, but I just finished my video on last Monday's dive at Pt Lobos. It was such a spectacularly fun dive for me. I'm on my Gavin and Johnathan is on his X. This is my first time doing video while scootering.

YouTube - Doc Wong Scuba Pt Lobos Scootering Gavin X Scooter

Let me know what you think.

Very interesting vidoe. Nice sponges.

Lobos is such a terrific site to dive. It's extra nice because you can park your car mere yards away from a gentle entry. This is especially handy when you are carrying something into the water like a SLA scooter. Heck, if I were back in Ca. again I'd bring something like Magnum just for the heck of it. :D

How were you hand holding the camera? Smaller housing I assume. I have hand held bigger Amphibcos and they are like sails catching wind. Nothing like trying to catch up to a partner who doesn't have the added burden & drag of a big camera.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom