Cheez-Wiz for Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, just out of curiosity.

Has anyone tried feeding fish Cheez-Wiz?

I heard they go nuts over that stuff. I've never tried myself.

I wonder if its bad for them :confused:

Anyone have any experiences?

Fish are wild animals, let them get their own food.

Just my .02

I have several aquariums .I am into fish . I wont comment on the feed /dont feed wild animals debate but I would definately not feed my fish cheeze whiz .If someone is going to feed fish they should at least feed something close to their nutritional requirements . I dont even eat cheeze whiz or hot dogs myself.
joens

... according to the senior aquarist at the New England Aquarium. She's in my dive club and this subject happened to have come up in our last meeting. She also said it's really bad to feed fish in the wild.

There is no doubt that it's fun to interact with fish, but it does them no favor. Reasons include (from what I've learned over the time I've been a diver):

1. Improper nutrition
2. Friendly interaction with people make fish unfairly easy prey for spear fishing
3. Aggressive behavior can be induced if they expect food due to people feeding them and then don't get fed from unsuspecting divers

There are probably more reasons.

Cheese wiz is bad, it has something to do with digestion of the preservatives in it....I'm not sure what it is, but I know its bad. A classic case of agressive fish is definetly Gilboa trout. They know what a bag of fish food looks like...they attack it in groups of 50...they attack ears and fingers...

Anyway, if your going to feed the fish, go to your local pet store, ask for some frozen blood worms (every store should carry those)...put them in a squeeze bottle, and only feed a very little at a time...a "treat" now and agina isn't bad, but constant feeding is.

It most closely resembles fish guts and the fish seem to love it.

There are lots of reasons not to feed the fish, same goes for not feeding the birds, squirrles and racoons. But I don't see any of the aforementioned species dying out because of what I do.

Bob3, you are correct about the crackers.

Back
Top Bottom