Tips and techniques for new freedivers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any good articles on breathhold techniques to practice for new freedivers?

Thanks,
Jim

hold your breath and pray u dont die

Thanks for the tip. I have been using a lot of martial arts training to help with breath holding, but can always use some more tips.

Jimmer:
Does anyone have any good articles on breathhold techniques to practice for new freedivers?

Thanks,
Jim
Please don't consider the following a substitute but rather a companion to proper freediving instruction.
Freedive! by Terry Maas
The Manual of Freediving by Umberto Pelizzari
Also, I am currently working on a companion manual to the freedive clinics that I teach. If interested (and when finished) I would like to have someone new to critique it as well as others who may have a strong interest in freediving.

I would definetly be interested in having a look at it. Someday I would really like to take an actual freediving course, but would like to just work on some techniques beforehand. Not much in the way of instruction around here it seems.

freediver:
Please don't consider the following a substitute but rather a companion to proper freediving instruction.
Freedive! by Terry Maas
The Manual of Freediving by Umberto Pelizzari
Also, I am currently working on a companion manual to the freedive clinics that I teach. If interested (and when finished) I would like to have someone new to critique it as well as others who may have a strong interest in freediving.

Jimmer:
Thanks for the tip. I have been using a lot of martial arts training to help with breath holding, but can always use some more tips.
Let me know if it works for you, I'd like to know if it can be learned "off paper."

Jimmer:
I would definetly be interested in having a look at it. Someday I would really like to take an actual freediving course, but would like to just work on some techniques beforehand. Not much in the way of instruction around here it seems.
Please bear in mind, if you are getting into breath-hold diving to increase your breath-hold, this is the wrong reason to pursue it but if you're getting into it to gain more comfort in-water, great for you. The breath-hold duration will increase naturally. If you are a true beginner, I would suggest starting with info on proper breathing (diaphragmatically) and proper relaxation, often one and the same.

freediver:
Please bear in mind, if you are getting into breath-hold diving to increase your breath-hold, this is the wrong reason to pursue it but if you're getting into it to gain more comfort in-water, great for you. The breath-hold duration will increase naturally. If you are a true beginner, I would suggest starting with info on proper breathing (diaphragmatically) and proper relaxation, often one and the same.

I don't give a tiny rat's *** on how long I can hold my breath for. But the only way I have to train up here is with my martial arts training, and learning to calm myself. Testing my breath hold time is one way for me to judge how my relaxation is coming along. I have always wanted to be able to free dive better, more for fun than anything. 14 year of scuba diving makes me wish I had gills, and freediving is the next best thing. I'd love to be able to cruise down and drift over a wreck while divers swim around it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom