Thumbs Down Sherwood SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tonka97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just read July 07 UNDERCURRENT publication. I own 2 Sherwood regulators and was quite disappointed with the current status of Sherwood. Let the buyer beware! They appear to be coasting on their past reputation, certainly not the present.

Sherwood Scuba is now a part of Cramer Decker Industries, a conglomerate that also sells non-diving items like industrial gas equipment.

On Sherwood's home site, there is NO physical address available, just a 'contact us' form you must fill out. No response was provided to an owner of a defective BC. He also sent a certified letter to the address listed on a Sherwood brochure; this letter was returned with a "moved" notation, and had no forwarding address.

Finally he alerted PADI and the US Product Safety Commission, and did get a response.

Another frustrated owner of a defective WISDOM dive computer received "zero response".

Undercurrent is an excellent, reputable publication for advanced divers and accepts no advertisements from manufacturers.

They report that to contact Sherwood, call 800 347-9766, or scuba@cramerdecker.com with the caveat "But there is no guarantee you'll get a response."

Originally Posted by Katiebug101

"All those companies are owned by an even bigger company, the one that I work for,

Cramer Decker Industries:"

http://www.cramerdecker.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cramer-Decker is a leading supplier; not a producer of the products. Harsco is much bigger and produces the products you sell and support. Cramer-Decker works with the distribution of products not the production of them, you also distribute parts, and catalogs for various vendors, but you do not own Harsco or Sherwood.

...Cramer Decker is good at being a leading worldwide supplier (middleman) of great scuba and medical supplies. Your customer support is first rate (but it has to be thru a dealer network... not over the phone)!

CDI is also the nation's largest wholesaler (middleman) of compressed gas equipment, carrying such high quality lines as Sherwood, Superior, Ceodeux, Catalina Cylinders, Rego Cryo-Flo and our exclusive PRORACK™ Cylinder Systems...which they do not own but supply.

The quote above is from one of Cramer-Deckers people. She thinks that Cramer-Decker owns Harsco/Sherwood which is a laugh...I had to put her in her place. Their support is great but it has to be thru a dealer (dive shop) network.

Just as a note I had a problem with an Akona dive knife and all my contact was with someone with cramerdecker.com email address and she was great. She helped me out quite a bit. I also think that it is kind of strange for Sherwood to be part of a company like that, but all the Sherwood gear that I have I like. I just hope that it stays that way. I have noticed how ever that quite a few people have been having problems with the Wisdom computer and I would not recommend that computer to anyone now. Espically knowing that they are having customer service issues as well...

Phil

I have never had a problem with their service or products. Sure something go bad, but everytime I have sent something to them, even out of warranty for a customer, they take care of it no questions asked. This is why I choose to sell their products. I havent heard too many issues with the Wisdom computer, nothing out of the ordinary that suggests a problem that other companies dont run into sometimes. I have a wisdom and its great.

ALso, Why are you dealing with the Manu? Why dont you take it to your LDS where you bought it and have them take care of it? THats what I tell our customers to do, let me fight the battle(if there is one) and get it resolved.

Yes they are owned by Cramer Decker....Whats wrong with that? The distribute their products.....Nothing has changed in my opinion and I will continue to sell their equipment until something does change....

They also Own Genesis and Akona....that mean those are bad too? Nope

Also, there are alot of websites that have a contact form and not other contact info....not saying its right, but its not unusual

When I bought a Wisdom computer I mailed in the warranty card to the address on the card, certified mail. I also received the card back with a "moved address no forwarding address" sticker. Doesn't exactly warm the heart. I did get it registered on the website and I have a good dealer. Still, when a company wants you to send a warranty card to a non existing address.....

Dear Maule,

Please visit http://www.sherwoodscuba.com/warranty_reg.php to register your Sherwood products. If you have a warranty card that was returned to you that card is over three years old. All new products are sent with a warranty card directing you this this website.

Please let me know if you have other issues.

Sherwood Scuba

well this is very disappointing... my sherwood regs are 10yrs old & wisdom about 6yrs and i love them dearly but times have changed, accountants rule the world and everything seems to be cheap and chinese these days (added lead for free).

thanks for your response above Sherwood to Maule but some people (like me) dont like to do EVERYTHING online... like warranty cards, so a working address does give peace of mind to a diver that puts their trust & life in your companies hands each and every dive.

I think a warranty card is alot easier to fill out and do online versus mailing it. It starts that day and I know it got done versus wondering if it got lost in the mail.....that would give me piece of mind......just my boring $.02 :wink: I think its a stretch to try and bash a company due to them not taking mail in Warranty cards....

its not the warranty cards... its the hiding behind a wall that concerns people

no-one wants to put faith into a product and then find that company totally uncontactable

example - i put hubbys drysuit in for new seals about 5 weeks ago and the lds tells me that they have been sending emails with no response then another friend tells me their suit went in THREE months ago for a new zipper and they too get no response!!!

i pick up the phone, talk to a nice person and a week later the drysuit is in our hands.

a compnay that refuses all contact other than online looses some respect in my eyes

i still LOVE my old sherwoods but would i buy the newer types - i dont think so, not if i hear cheap, chinese, all mail returned to sender and dont try to even contact us

Uncontactable?? Did you buy it from SHerwood? WOuldnt you go to your dealer first?

NO no no....its not a Chinese Mail return to sender operation.....What in the first post would even suggest that?? I dont understand where that comes from at all. They have excellent customer service...their customer service is actually some of the best out there. I dont understand how one bad post would make you think that they are a Bad company that sells only chinese stuff and is hiding behind walls??? Thats outrageous.....especially after ALL the Great posts that have been typed about them........

Back
Top Bottom