Rising to the top

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaangel

Reaction score
Ok, I made my first dive since my certification three weeks ago. My ears are finally all well and I did not have any equalizing problems. I did however, have an ascent problem. I used my Aeris 500AI, ScubaPro 600s reg and second, for the first time. I was at 24ft. depth when I began my ascent, I added one burst of air to BC inflator and began my ascent. Which by my computer was in the safe zone, at 15ft all of a sudden I felt myself pick up speed checked the computer and saw it climbing faster, it began alarming as I was dumping air as fast as I could I began to descend at 9ft. and went back to 15ft where my computer went back to the safe zone. I hoovered there for a minute then kicked my feet and slowly went up never speeding up again. What did I do wrong and how can I prevent this from happening? I really value this board and the help everyone gives out. :)

hello

I use the 500AI also, nice unit. The first thing I noticed was that at 24 ft you added air to begin your ascent. I was taught that you don't add air to your BC to ascend you use your fins. What you experienced was a small lesson in Boyle's law. good job in dropping back down to 15ft.

You are right and I was also taught that I would not need to add air, however I had been sitting on the wing of an airplane wreck and to get lift off (LOL) no pun intended I thought a quick burst of air would help. Guess that was too much. Maybe I should have used the wing as a spring board and gave myself a boost that way.

I also use a 500AI and a S600, and I really like them both.

Always think about reducing buoyancy and letting out air as you ascend. I make it a fun exercise to try to ascend as slowly and steadily as possible to my stop depth, and then to surface. Try see if you can keep the top graph on the 500AI at one mark or less.

Aloha,

Jonathan

P.S. Usually just a good inhale so your lungs enter the fuller part of the range is enough to start an ascent, and then you can slowly exhale and begin to gently release air from your BC before you inhale again, but do keep breathing.

Aloha,

Jonathan

I would scrap the lift off inflation of your bcd... Good recovery though!

-kate

A normal swimming ascent from 30' in low visability can be an interesting experience.

You are kicking very slowly with your inflator hose raised and the dump button depressed.....your bubbles are rising much faster than you are.....vis is low enough that you can't see the surface yet and the bubbles disappear in the haze.....and if it wasn't for the depth clicking off of your computer, you'd think you were just "swimming vertically in place".

"Ummm....shouldn't there a specialty called 'Diving by Braille?'"

Where did you dive that planes were in 30 ft of water?

then another question pops:wink: to mind , What did your buddy do?

Athens Scuba Park (www.athensscubapark.com) has a cessna and a C-140 in less than 30' freshwater. And lots of other interesting things to swim around and through.

Not in Texas, I live in Georgia and at the Clark Hill or now known as the Strom Thurmond Dam and lake that borders South Carolina. We long timers here though still refer to the Lake as Clark's Hill. Our plane is on the South Carolina side of the lake and the visibility varies this past Sunday it was 4-6 feet and on the wing it was alittle better than 6ft. As for my buddy she kept on going up, then accused me of leaving her. She is 17 yrs old, but when I told her what and why I did what I did she agreed that I had done right and she was wrong. I told her I was not going to jeopardize myself if I was ascending too fast to keep up with her, she should have stayed with me. If I was going too fast she was too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom