Need help finding a reef in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emcbride81

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am going to be in Florida in 9 days (happy dance) and we are going to splash Key Largo. We have the boat going to the Spiegel (my first wreck dive!), and we have an option on the second dive. We are taking my wife who is not a diver but wants to snorkel. What shallow reefs are the best? I was told by one shop Hens and Chickens, Pickles reef, Horseshoe are a few, but I have no idea if they are good. Is one in particularly better than the others? Any input is appreciated!

All the reef dives out of key largo are generally shallow and the snorkeling will be about the same.

Maybe north dry rocks so she can see the statute?

I personally like the pickles reef dive (The reef rises to the surface in this area) - I also like snapper ledge

Most any of the reefs are ok for snorkeling.

I do have a concern about your planned dive. I see from your profile that you have an OW cert with less that 25 dives. Most ops in the keys will not take you to the grove without at least an AOW. If your profile is correct, I would suggest you not dive the grove and to be honest, I would avoid any operator that is willing to take you. The grove can be a nice dive but it's not one I would suggest for a novice. It's deep and the currents can be ripping, not the best choice for a new diver.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom