First time Venice Shark tooth divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PyrateJim

New
Reaction score
We are thinking of stopping in the Venice area for a few days during our vacation next week. I would love to take my 11 year old son diving for shark teeth off of Venice with the hopes of finding one (or a few) of the "Meg" teeth or other fossils. He's been certified for just over a year now, and this would be his first Gulf dive experience.
The Charter we were going with filled up and so we are left on our own. Can anyone give us some pointers of where to go, were to look, ect... We are doing our research and learning about the old river beds and looking for the change in ocean bottom from sand to pebbles, ect... but nothing beats an "X" on a chart or some gps numbers for the bone yard.

One final question. Being that we are well seasoned boaters, does anyone know of a boat rental company in the area. From our reading, I am not sure if we are ready for a mile swim to 18' - 30' of water, but if possible, would like to increase our chances of finding some good size teeth.

We would be happy just dong some beach dives if we could be pointed in the right direction or would be happy tohave a someone join us for a dive and teach us the right way to do it. All in all, I am looking for a positive diving experience for my son and a few nice teeth to take home to brag about in school.

Thanks for allyour suggestions/ideas/thoughts/chart pics/ect...

Sorry, but I would never willing assist someone that young dive anywhere, and especially not in low visibility. It's just not safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom