This weekend or next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need of a dive - anyone thinking about meeting up down in Monterey at all either this weekend or next? I'd probably be more inclined for next weekend due to some slight ear issues this weekend from flying. :(

I was told that this weekend should have the best vis this year to date. But I can't make it. :(

Buck

Hey Buck I was kidding about the "Best vis of the year"

Chuck actually has that nailed down..... actually more like 'best dive week of the year"

I'm planning on being at the Breakwater at 0800 with a new guy....

I wish I had the vis predictions nailed down. The only way I know to forecast it is to
ask "what was it like yesterday?", and apply some highly inaccurate adjustments:

How sunny has it been? (SUN BAD, PROBABLY)
Where's the wind been from? (STEADY NW GOOD, MAYBE)
How rough has it been? (ROUGH STIRS UP THE BOTTOM, FER SURE)
How many jellies have there been (JELLIES EAT THE GREEN, MAYBE)

Fortunately, Monterey is cool even when the vis is mediocre (15') which
isn't all that often, at least on the offshore sites.

The good news is that there was a reliable report of good vis from Lobos
yesterday,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_diving/message/36468

and I have Lobos reservations both days this weekend. Poor
Adm. Linda has to work the weekend. ;-(

I'd be willing to go diving next weekend, possibly this Sunday, but I'll have to see about that since my buddies from work (who don't dive) plan to take me out drinking Saturday night. Next weekend, I'm free since I was just planning on tagging along behind my Open Water instructor's class, just so I could get some diving in. Now, I'm an extreme novice and haven't dove for a month and those dives that I did were my open water checkout dives. If you're willing to hang with a newbie, then you have someone to dive with next weekend. Might be better next weekend because I'll have 2 dives (maybe more) under my belt with my new equipment this weekend. I actually would be willing to dive any time most weekends with anyone more experienced than me and considers themself a safe diver. Most of my friends don't dive and the ones that do haven't done so in a while.

On the vis note, I'm really looking forward to diving tomorrow. The water looked pretty clear and calm (at 830 PM)from the small area next to the Fish Hopper on Cannery Row, if that could serve as any indication. That could definitely change really quick though. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Hope you enjoy Lobos, Chuck. :)

Chuck Tribolet:
I wish I had the vis predictions nailed down. The only way I know to forecast it is to
ask "what was it like yesterday?", and apply some highly inaccurate adjustments:

How sunny has it been? (SUN BAD, PROBABLY)
Where's the wind been from? (STEADY NW GOOD, MAYBE)
How rough has it been? (ROUGH STIRS UP THE BOTTOM, FER SURE)
How many jellies have there been (JELLIES EAT THE GREEN, MAYBE)

Fortunately, Monterey is cool even when the vis is mediocre (15') which
isn't all that often, at least on the offshore sites.

The good news is that there was a reliable report of good vis from Lobos
yesterday,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ba_diving/message/36468

and I have Lobos reservations both days this weekend. Poor
Adm. Linda has to work the weekend. ;-(

What was it you were saying about between Christmas and New year I think you've been batting about 90% on outstanding dive conditions?

Well, I didn't get out this weekend due to a pretty obnoxious headcold. Really hoping to be out there next weekend at some stage. Anyone interested in meeting up with Mark and I? huh? huh? huh?

I would be interested if you wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along. Where in Monterey are you guys going?

We will be having a club dive at Ft. Ross on Saturday at 9am for anyone who is interested. We will be checking out the wreck of the S.S. Pomona. Everyone is welcome.

Sarita, you have some great pictures uploaded to our site. We would love to have you come dive with us sometime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom