What do we really think...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
doghouse made me think with the post in the Thursday weigh-in. Do most of us view this adventure we're on as a diet? And is winter better/easier?
No, I think of it more as a lifestyle change

Absolutely not a diet for me. I'm with FairyBasslet... it's a lifestyle change.

The way I see it...

I've failed at EVERY diet I've ever attempted. This time, it's not a diet, and I've successfully lost 64 lbs.

Diets can be started and stopped. They can be "cheated on". They can be procrastinated to later and later start dates.

A lifestyle is part of who I am. I changed my lifestyle. I'm no longer the person that I used to be. I've broken some bad habits and started some "good" habits. It's part of who I am.

I can never think of this as a diet as for me thats short term

its a lifestyle change in my mind.... i can (and do) go off the healthy path but its never a crashing in a wall binge thing that i use to do with diets

plus, i also find its easier to get back onn track if i accept a few deviations and treats

cheers!

well, I am struggling with my lifestyle here.

staying motivated when I have been so tired is my struggle.

Old? I'm not tempted to eat bad food, just to frog off my exercise

Almity's post made me think of something that I find very helpful in my lifestyle change.

I don't deny myself anything. If I want chocolate, or a greasy tenderloin sandwich, or pizza, or ice cream, etc... I eat it! For me, it's better to "get my fix" when I want something, than to go on a binge and eat everything in sight because I denied myself something. But, WHEN I have those moments where my eating is less than healthy, I'll alter what I eat the rest of the day. IF I have a totally crappy food day, then I'll be good for the next couple of days.

By changing my lifestyle, I've found that I've lost weight at a pretty good pace. And if I'm not losing, then I'm maintaining (like now). I've found that my little gains of 1-5 lbs here and there are typically caused by fluid retention or "being a woman", and it falls off within a day or two. :)

Catherine... we all have lulls in our exercise. :wink: I'm in the middle of one now. I've been sooo tired that I just can't motivate enough to do it.

Glad I'm not the only one! I couldn't ever "diet" - I love food too much! I just thought about what others think coz I saw "falling off my diet" and "on a diet" etc in some other places and thought "Whoa, this isn't a diet for me - that makes me think of deprivation and I'm no good at that!" :wink:

I, too, don't deny myself anything I want. But I have to work for it. I want a coke? Fine, but I have to walk to the shops to get one (I haven't actually had one since I started a month or so ago). I want takeout? Go for it. But I either only eat some of it til I'm satisfied and/or I add a side of veggies. No more just eating coz it's there. Want a beer and some crisps? Sit down and enjoy 'em, but walk more later and pay attention to how many chips I'm stuffing down the ol' gob...I don't need to eat the whole pack, just one then talk for a while, then another one etc...making it more social for me is good, too.

I'm trying to get back to my "real" lifestyle when I felt my best and had oodles of energy and enthusiasm. So far I'm doing very well about 4 or 5 days per week and I'm pleased with that since I'm coming off of our 4 or 5 months of total blackness and I've only started reclaiming myself in the past month! Maybe this will be the week that I'm up to 6 great days :)

One foot in front of the other and trying to enjoy life each day!

heheh - you say i could never diet, i say i could never be an anorexic!

ive been slack since december... enjoying summer and being active too much but its good to say that ive maintained instead of sliding all the way back to where i started... how depressing would that have been!

now im ready to pull my socks up and make great improvements again... but one day at a time, one meal at a time

last night i had white bread where i know i shouldnt... like ER said, today i will compensate a bit for that and eat more fruit and greens to detox a bit

for me - preparation is the key! i need to haev the positive foods in the house available!

yesterday after diving i pulled out the esky and we had roast beef and tomato sambos on rye bread with an orange once all the gear was packed away and we were relaxing. a healthy lunch as the alternatvie was fish and chips at the cafe.

That sounds yummo! I have to say I've been into sandwiches this week - found some yummy bread that has some pretty good numbers and works beautifully on our sandwich press.

My problem is that I always get carried away with the veggies and it's too tall then all ooks out the sides so I end up having to use a fork, too LOL

I'm starting to get a bit burned out on our fruit, though...the only thing that we are getting that is still good consistently are mandarins and bananas. The apples & pears vary wildly from week to week and nothing else is very appealing. The tomatoes last week were terrible - that weird kind of grainy texture inside with no flavour...and they were meant to be the "good" ones! Bring back summer so I can have grapes and other stuff for a bit of variety!

Ive actaully picked up a $30 greenhouse from bunnings and trying to grow some at home.... plus keep all the usual herbs like basil & oragano & parsley

so far all the tomatos are shooting so fingers crossed!

heheh - we had toasted sandwhiches last night for dinner.... gotta figure out a way of putting an egg in there without it sliding out all over the place!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom