Have your dog checked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstroDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please folks - have your dog checked before you start taking them on your exercise routine with you.

A few months ago I started biking in the mornings and evenings to build leg strength. My best friend and soul mate, Rachel, always joined me with glee for this routine. She did one short lap (~.25 miles) at a slow trotting speed then she would sit in the front yard while I finished another 4 miles.

She died Monday of heart failure. She was 7. She had an enlarged heart and no one knew it because we never had a chest xray. We never thought we had the need for it. It never once occurred to us for any reason. Why would we? She was the healthiest looking and acting dog you'd ever meet.

Please, for God's sake, avoid the devastation our family is enduring and have your pet checked *before* they join you for that morning jog....

I am so sorry for the loss of your dog. Pets become family and I know it is hard when you lose a pet.

Astro.... my soul aches for you and your family. I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. For many, the "pet" IS a part of the family... I know they are in my home.

My dog LOVES to join me on my walks... anywhere from 1 mile to 2.25 miles. She is a Belgian Malinois and is nearing 11 years old. We must pay a visit to vet. I would be devastated if something happened to her.

Thank you for sharing such a heart-wrenching story in your time of grief... all in an effort to help others avoid the same fate. I commend you. May you have peace knowing that your "friend" was happy right before she was "called home".

Sorry to hear about your dog, neighbor. We lost our buddy of 10 years, a Springer paniel, Shelby, in March after a long battle with disease. Only now are we looking for another dog.

We lost our Lab last year after 14 years. He had a massive tumor in his lung. He went in for minor surgery to his ear and died 3 days later

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I like to think that our pets aren't really gone, just ahead of us on a trail that we will all travel & some day we will all be together again. My sympathies to you & your family.

Reading this brings a tear to my eyes as I have a lab of 11yrs and I can't imagen what you are going through, she is the family member that gets taken for granted the most and is the first to come running to your side.
We are so sorry for your family's loss.

I recently lost my "best friend" too, 6 months ago...
I used to take him on a 1 mile bike ride about 4 times a week, he loved it but my wife always said it was bad for his feet ????? :confused:
Anyways, he was only 6 1/2 when I put him down...poor boy.
He had lymph node cancer...
Sorry for your loss:(

Bill

Attachments

• ODIN175KB.jpg
    ODIN175KB.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 76
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom