Wetsuit question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeff104665

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

I am just getting into diving and am in the process of buying my gear. I currently live and dive in the Monetery Bay area of Cailfornia. However, I am only here for another 6 months or so then I will be moving back home to the south. I will be doing alot of diving out of the Clearwater/ Tampa Bay are. I was wondering if anybody could tell me on what kind of exposure suit they prefer... I am assuming the 7mm, which is the norm here, will be more than overkill there. Please let me know what yall think is best.

Thanks,
Jeff

It depends on when you will be diving. Summer is much warmer with warmer water temps which I think most will use up to a 3mm if any at all. The 7mm might be good for late fall/early spring.

I've seen winter temps in the Gulf and sometimes in the Atlantic dip to the high 60s...you might be able to get away with a 3 or a 3/2 fullsuit by adding a hooded vest.

Last winter I used my Henderson Gold Core 5/3 hooded vest and it served me well...for this year I purchased a 5/4 fullsuit (which i used last week in Catalina in the 58-65F degree range) which I will use for the Florida winter temps.

Cheers.

-J.-

so would a 3mm or 5mm suit be better for a year-round suit (except when its warm enough to go with out a suit?) Thanks for the help!

jeff104665:
so would a 3mm or 5mm suit be better for a year-round suit (except when its warm enough to go with out a suit?) Thanks for the help!
id say a 3mm for fl would be more than suffiecent year round. id add a hood and gloves for the winter, specially if the water temp never drops below 60-65 degrees. alot depends on how deep you go as well.

If you're planning to dive the Gulf in the winter, chances are you'll get cold in a 3mm.

The first dive I did in the Gulf in Feb. of 2000 was to the Fantastico and it was 63 on the bottom and I froze my butt off in a 3mm shorty with a 3mm full on top of it. I have since bought a 5mm suit for diving the Gulf in the winter.

Here on the east coast, the temp bottoms out around 72 most years and I'm okay in a 3mm.

Whatever you do, dive the Gulf as far out as you can get. It's great diving that's not to be missed.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom