Aeris Atmos 2 question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, after diving in Boca a couple of weeks ago, I didn't wait 24 hrs before flying (it was 22). Now, my atmos 2 (After sitting dormant for several weeks) displays "ALT" and shuts off when powered down.

Will this clear if I remove the battery? How long does it need to stay out? Is it hosed?

The Oceanic Veo180nx didn't seem to care. It's working fine.

If I read the manual correctly, if the unit thinks it's at an altitude of higher than 14,000', it will behave this way, so the pressure sensor may be whacked and it thinks it's at high altitude. A couple years ago I had an Atmos2 that exhibited this behavior (ALT and shutdown).

Prior to this, it was a bit confused about depths, and occasionally showed a depth of 6' when just below the surface; it also would occasionally be confused about when it was on the rurface, and would "stay" at 5 feet for hours when actually on the surface.

When sent in to Aeris, they told me it was unrepairable, and offered me a rebuilt replacement for $95. That rebuilt unit has been flawless.

I am pretty sure that flying before the 24 hour clock runs out is not a problem, as we dive quite a bit at Monterey, CA, and "fly" shortly thereafter by driving over Donner Summit at 7000' to get home to Reno. No problems.

All the best, James

I agree with Fdog's analysis of the problem, but do suggest that you give the computer module a good long soak in warm water before giving it up as unrepairable.

If just warm water for a few hours doesn't cure it, you could try adding some vinegar.

I've had depth errors a couple times on some older Pelagic/Oceanic hocky pucks that seemed to be caused by salt crystals forming on the sensor surface. Removing the module from the console or wrist boot and soaking it solved the problem both times.

No guarantee that this will fix it, but you don't have anything to lose.

If you read the manual you can clear the computer and shut it down. I don't remeber where actually but te display is 0101. It does not loose the log but it resets the computer.

If it is not shut down try that.

Well, soaking it overnight (in both warm water and a weak vinegar solution) did not help. Neither did removing the battery overnight.

I'm afraid the computer is hosed. Aeris mentions a trade-in value for new equipment on their website, but I cannot find a link to the schedule of values.

That's 2 computers I've killed in the last 12 months. Thank goodness I've got backups.

I know for a fact that if you reset the computer you WILL loose the logs. make sure you save them first or if you don't mind to loose them try that or call Aeris......

m3830431:
If you read the manual you can clear the computer and shut it down. I don't remeber where actually but te display is 0101. It does not loose the log but it resets the computer.

If it is not shut down try that.

paulwall:
I'm afraid the computer is hosed. Aeris mentions a trade-in value for new equipment on their website, but I cannot find a link to the schedule of values.

If you bought it from a LDS take it back there and see what they can do for you.

My Atmos Pro died on me (after using it for maybe 8 years) LDS got me a replacement (refurbished) unit from Aeris for the princely sum of $100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom