Pensacola Beach Dive Report 7-27-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got out to Pensacola Beach around 9:00 am a bit before high tide. I was surprised that the wind which was forecasted to be out of the South was actually blowing out of the North making for very smooth conditions. Upon entering the water I was disappointed to see a lot of algae in the water and then it dawned on me that this was the algae field that normally has been sitting between the beach and the site. This meant that the algae had been totally pushed in the beach by the in-coming tide clearing the area. I normally drop down at the beach and underwater navigate in, but since the algae was so think we decide to surface swim. The in-coming tide had brought some jellies in, but they were mainly hanging around the surface. I took a good hit to the neck and chin but it was my fault as I was back fining and not paying attention. The jellies were manageable and once I turned and faced the direction I was going I swan around any that came my way. Once we arrived on the site I was amazed at the visibility. I could clearly see the site from the surface. During high slack tide viz stayed at 20 feet maybe a little more in some areas. Once the tide shifted the viz went down to about 10 to 15 feet which was still great in my book. Water temps were very nice at 82* and I only counted a couple jellies hanging around at depth that were very easy to avoid. There was a ton of life hanging around the rubble as usual. Once my buddy hit her turn around pressure we decided to navigate back to the beach underwater since we didn’t see any jellies at depth. This worked out well and I only saw a couple on the way back in. If you read this in time I would hit P-Cola beach on Sunday (7-29-07) high tide is early again and don’t surface swim to the site. Line up with the number#4 lifeguard tower and head out due south ‘till you hit about 15-16 fsw if your not on site just go east a bit and then west a bit ‘till you hit it. Here are some pics from my days diving:
060.JPG

1361.JPG

173.JPG

186.JPG

023.JPG

080.JPG

084.JPG

I hit the beach again today (7-29-07) and had a great time. The jellies were nowhere to be found and the viz was 20 feet solid. Water temps the same as yesterday. Here are a few more pics from today:

My just in case anti-jelly outfit:
019.JPG

Just what are these two crabs doing?
04.gif

005.JPG

0161.JPG

Nice pics. Good to hear there were no jellies yesterday.

Thanks for your report, and I enjoyed your photos. I wonder what species is the wrasse in the third photo? It's definitely not the usual Slippery Dick that is most common off the Pandhandle. I briefly looked in Humann's book and didn't see any photos that looked exactly like it.

I spend a lot of time snorkeling at the Destin Jetties on my annual summer vacation there. Maybe I should try to get over to Pensacola Beach sometime for something different. Is the site shallow enough for snorkeling?

At high tide you are looking at a max of 18 feet, so you could snorkle it. The site is 100 yards from the shore so you might want to have a snorkle vest on so you can rest and float if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom