NC Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad1

Reaction score
I'm searching for some good wrecks and charters off the coast of North Carolina,just some weekend trips in the area of 100'-150'.
I live in eastern Ohio. We have visited the saint lawrance and loved it. Any help would be appreceiated...Mark

http://www.olympusdiving.com/

I dive off NC every summer for 2-3 days. It is regrettable that I cannot put more time into diving NC wrecks.

Most wrecks are 100 to 130 feet. Staged decompressiobn diving is not tolerated although taking an O2 tank with you is allowed. They do not have any rules except you re-board the boat after a dive.

The crew is experienced and makes every effrot to please. Rental gear with AL100 tanks are availaible. Ntrox is also available.

Have fun in NC and maybe I will see you there one day,.

BTW, I have never dove the St. Lawerence or 1000 Islands. Give me your recommendations.

Thanks for the reply, most of the wrecks in the St. Lawrence
are in pristine condition. the vis has been 40-100ft the three trips we have been there. I have stayed in Kingston Ont. which is also a neat town full of history, shops and good restaurants.The only problem we encountered diving here was, your at the mouth of the river so it is possible to get "blown off". Also there is a thermocline to deal with.Limestone charters is who we chartered
with and have always had a good experience,they also have a web site. We have also dove out of Brockville Ont. with a charter by the name of Under Where?(about an hour east of Kingston).
The water is mixed up there due to the river narrowing so there is no thermocline. there was about a 5 knot current which added to the exitement. We have always stayed on the Canadian side
and all have been great trips ,I look forward to going back each year...Mark

BILLB once bubbled...
Staged decompressiobn diving is not tolerated although taking an O2 tank with you is allowed. They do not have any rules except you re-board the boat after a dive.

Sounds like they have a pretty big rule in that "Staged decompressiobn diving is not tolerated". Surely there are some boats running in that area that allow diving beyond recreational limits? 10 minute wreck dives are really not worth the boat trip.

Tom

they are correct when they say some dont like deco diving however there are some out there who will takes groups of experence deco divers
you may want to contact one of the more experence deco shops around one being this one
http://www.nadcoscuba.com
anothber being www.sandhills-scuba.com
tell them jJoe kamer refered you these are two of the experenced deco shops I know but there are many dive boats my favorite dive sight is the U352 sits at 120 feet but there are many others pm some time we hook up and see what we can arong as I dive all I can off the coast one advantage of living in NC

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Sounds like they have a pretty big rule in that "Staged decompressiobn diving is not tolerated". Surely there are some boats running in that area that allow diving beyond recreational limits? 10 minute wreck dives are really not worth the boat trip.

Tom
We have done dives off that boat (Cassimir, Lobster Wreck, Normannia, etc. - all around 130') and slung 40s and done 20-30 minute hangs without the captain & crew raising a stink. A couple of the other divers told us that the captain asked them if they saw two other guys on the line and seemed agitated, but nobody said anything to us other than "did you have a nice dive?".

Olympus is a first class operation all the way, but for true staged deco you will have to try somebody else like Medic13 said.

I've been thinking about a trip there with some friends.
Is it all boat dives?
Can you visit any wrecks from shore?
We were talking about driving down and camping for a week. Is there decent camping near the dive sites?
I drove through the Carolina's on my way to Florida once and really liked it.
Diving in the St.Lawrence is amazing in the summer. Water temp. can be as warm as 75 degrees!! no thermocline. Lake Ontario has wonderful, well preserved wrecks but the water is colder. I just bought a drysuit so I can be a little more comfy.:wink:

barb once bubbled...
I've been thinking about a trip there with some friends.
Is it all boat dives?
Can you visit any wrecks from shore?
We were talking about driving down and camping for a week. Is there decent camping near the dive sites?
I drove through the Carolina's on my way to Florida once and really liked it.
Diving in the St.Lawrence is amazing in the summer. Water temp. can be as warm as 75 degrees!! no thermocline. Lake Ontario has wonderful, well preserved wrecks but the water is colder. I just bought a drysuit so I can be a little more comfy.:wink:
My favorite place to go. I think we did about 6 trips down there this season and had about 3-4 get blown out :( . Everything is boat diving, although I have heard there is a shore dive somewhere, but I haven't tried to find it. The boat trips are long too...offshore stuff is usually 2-3 hours and inshore stuff is around an hour from what I remember. The temps are awesome - around 80 or so in the summer and 70s most of the rest of the time...usually top to bottom. Since the gulf stream hits the area, there are always sharks, turtles, eagle rays, etc. I believe there is camping, but I have always stayed in cheap motels split with buddies. Some of the dive ops offer pretty reasonable bunkhouse accommodations as well.

Try it! You will love it..

There is camping near (<20 miles)the major diving ports of Cape Hattras, Morehead City and the Wilmington area (Carolina Beach and Wrightsville Beach). I personally do not recommend camping at the beaches during most of the diving season. I am assuming by camping you mean in a tent, a rec vehicle with A/C is a different matter. Between the heat, the humidity and the bugs it can be very miserable and a good nights sleep is needed to enjoy NC diving. A room with a hot shower and A/C is real important to me due to the conditions that often accompany NC diving. As O-ring had indicated, NC wreck diving is a lot more intense than some are prepaired for. A 50% blowout rate is not unheard of. The trips are 1 to 3 hrs out with a 1 to 2 hr SI between dives in 90+ deg F. There are days when the seas are flat and lovely but more often you will be diving in 4 to 6 ft seas. Odds are at least 1/3 of the divers will be sea sick. Don't get me wrong, there are lovely days with flat seas, gin clear water and the wrecks are covered with marine life which makes the trips worth the ride, but I see too many divers, esp new divers, that are not prepaired to handle the conditions we often have, this is not Florida or Caribbean diving. I will be happy to give you more on the camping sites if you want.

I can't comment on the diving, but I can the camping. We used to spend alot of time at Hattras and Ocracoke Island, and let me tell you, don't make the mistake of camping out there, especially in the summer. The heat is oppressive and the sand fleas will drive you crazy. Go on back to Manteo and rent a nice room, your stay at Hattras will be much more pleasant.... :tree: Bob

Back
Top Bottom