Destin Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am thinking of going to Destin Fl next July. I have heard that there are lots of Sharks, Groupers, Rays etc.....anyone dove there? your opinion?

There are fish, and like anywhere else in the Gulf, sharks, grouper, rays, whatever. Its fun and typically fairly clear. Warm too at the moment.

Emerald Coast Scuba is the only place I'd use when diving Destin. They run a great charter and shop. Pricing is comparable with any other shop around but the quality of the staff and trips are something noone can beat.

Susie

I've been happy with ScubaTech on every occassion I've used them.

Travelnsj:
I am thinking of going to Destin Fl next July. I have heard that there are lots of Sharks, Groupers, Rays etc.....anyone dove there? your opinion?

I've seen sharks and large grouper (5' or so) on boat dives there.

I'm sure that others who've dove there more than I have, have seen more.

Scubatech is good to work with when then seas are calm :D They also bank 32% and do partial pressure filling.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I've been happy with ScubaTech on every occassion I've used them.

To me ScubaTech is a much more friendly shop than the other.

wjefferis:
To me ScubaTech is a much more friendly shop than the other.

I agree with this completely.

The only thing about Scubatech is that they are quick to cancel a boat trip if the seas are above 2ft. (especially if there aren't many people booked).

I might split up my time between Scuba Tech and Emerald Coast divers as I have heard great things about both. What I am most interested in is the Ocean life....I dive mostly the Indo-Pacific region....so I am spoiled.....but I have heard the Liberty Wreck and the Hydro-Foil has many fish, Sharks etc.....has anyone done those dives?...also looking to stay at the Sheraton, is that close to the dive ops?....thanks for the info.

The Sheraton is over across the bridge in Fort Walton Beach. But all the Destin dive ops are on the west side of Destin close to the bridge, so no worries. Maybe a 10 minute drive on average. FYI, For what the Sheraton costs though, I've found you can rent a 1 or 2br condo with a living room and kitchen on the beach for the same price. (but that's personal preference).

Both Destin dive shops are within a mile of each other on the same road (hwy 98) as the Sheraton. Emerald Coast is not road front, but they have a large sign up, but it faces the road instead of the traffic so might be hard to see. As a reference point, they are behind the Taco Bell (if I remember correctly). They've got a new storefront and pool that is pretty nice.

When booking a boat trip with Emerald Coast, be sure to ask where they are going. they might have the boat scheduled only for jetty dives that day. (which is common)

Mike thanks so much for the Heads up....I have a bunch of free nights for the Sheraton...can't beat that deal!....so now just need to figure out if the diving is worth it. Have you done the Liberty wreck...Hydro-Foil etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom