Too Much Neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am diving with a 7MM FJ in Mass/Maine, typically 60 FSW or less. I am never cold, I often unzip partially to cool down. I would really like to wear less lead, what are the realistic options for this area. 7MM full, 5MM, 3MM+vest? (Can't afford a DS and steel tanks are a few years down the road).

What are the temps?
Is a dry suit an option?
Do you mean "farmer john and jacket"?

A 7mm fj/j can get a bit greedy when it comes to adding weight to get down and be neutral.

From what I've experienced, a GOOD 7mm full suit or a 7/5mm semi-dry will do a good job to temps to about (in my case, and I get cold easily) 55 degrees or so.

So much varies with the individual.

the K

If a 2-piece 7mm suit is too warm, I think a 7mm full suit should do the trick for you.

Sorry I was not clear, I use a farmer john + step in jacket. Dry suit is too costly. Temps are very subjective, it is basically in the upper 50's now. This is why I was hoping to get some feedback from others in the same area. I will keep my current set up for when its really cold, but the extra lead is a PITA. Thanks.

I had the same problem of being too hot underwater. I dive waters that are mostly high 50's to mid 60's. So I went from a 7mm farmer Jane w/jacket, 7mm hood, gloves and boots to 7mm one piece suit 7mm hood, gloves and boots and I'm much more comfortable. I think if you were to wear the warmer hood, gloves and boots you would probably be fine in a one piece. good luck getting comfortable

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom