X-Shorts and Wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering cutting up my X-Shorts and gluing the pockets to my wetsuit. I replaced the cotton cord with 3/16 bunge last year, but they still tend to slip down. Any one tried this?

It's not the budget option, but if you're going to go through the trouble of gluing, get a better pair of pockets that will last longer, like the XS Scuba pockets that DiveSports is selling.

yeah, you can buy pockets pretty cheap & it's real hard to find X shorts now. Take a look in the Hot Deals forum, there's a shop that sells glue on pockets fairly cheap.

Wayward Son:
yeah, you can buy pockets pretty cheap & it's real hard to find X shorts now. Take a look in the Hot Deals forum, there's a shop that sells glue on pockets fairly cheap.
Not entirely true, X-Shorts are available again, and in a new and improved form. They're pretty spendy, though, at $79, but rumor has it they're made better than the old ones were.

http://stores.ebay.com/Dive-Xtras

Still, it's a cheaper value to get the XS scuba pockets from DiveSports and glue them. More of a pain, of course, and when you move to a new suit it's even worse, but it's the way I would prefer to do it, given the option.

Robert, one thing I neglected to mention (I have issue with them slipping down also): A good cotton rope (something that will grip and give a good knot, unlike most poly rope) might be a good alternative to bungee, because you can cinch it down tighter. Considering how much stuff ends up in those pockets, even 3/16 bungee is going to have a tough time holding. I'm starting to wonder if some sort of keeper attaching the shorts to the waist belt might be the way to go!

The new X-shorts ARE better made, including a better, sturdier waist cord. I've seen and handled them. They're nice.

I haven't had a problem with my x-shorts sagging....however, I blew out the left pocket last week. It had slight tear in the corner and by the end of the dive, it was pretty much wide open in the bottom. Thankfully, everyone was snapped off to the bungee cord, so I lost nothing.

Agreed that going with a separate set of new pockets is a better way to go.

Thanks guys! Looks like divesports still has the pockets for $21 so I'm ordering a pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom