PDA

View Full Version : Where are the sharks in Europe?

Giap
August 3rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
According to fish books there are a lot of sharks species in north atlantic and the med , but encounters seem to be pretty rare..(except the occasionnal dogfish here and there)
If you encountered sharks anywhere in European / English/Irish waters ,please post here !

Mauifish
August 3rd, 2007, 03:06 AM
I just watched a special on sharks in the med on the discovery channel {shark week}, there seem to be several great whites in the Med and all the usual toothy critters that are else where, just less of them.

ddimples
August 3rd, 2007, 03:24 AM
I know in Australia, near the beach, a man was eaten by a shark.. well, his legs at least up to his belly or stomach. it was really disgusting and it was sooo near the beach!!

Bubble Junky
August 3rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
Cornwall (http://www.north-cornwall.co.uk/client/sharkconservation/shark-cornwall.htm) down the south-west of England has Blues and Basking sharks, and if you're to believe the tabloid press, Great Whites (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195917) too !!

Mike Veitch
August 3rd, 2007, 04:53 AM
mostly in the holds of long liners i would think...

:D

Zeeman
August 3rd, 2007, 04:54 AM
I know in Australia, near the beach, a man was eaten by a shark.. well, his legs at least up to his belly or stomach. it was really disgusting and it was sooo near the beach!!

Oh please.. Lord.. hold me back...

_Bella_
August 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM

It was disgusting, was it? So you were there?
Oh and this is related to sharks in Europe how?

Hammerhead
August 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

evil_xander
August 3rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
According to fish books there are a lot of sharks species in north atlantic and the med , but encounters seem to be pretty rare..(except the occasionnal dogfish here and there)
If you encountered sharks anywhere in European / English/Irish waters ,please post here !

Well, if any exist in the Adriatic, they rarely visit the shoreline. We usually get 5-10 sightings/near sightings per year, but maybe 1 or 2 really confirmed. These usually follow the ships eating leftovers...

Giap
August 3rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Fishermen spot (or fish-out) blue sharks quite often far from the coast in south france / and spain "costa brava" but nobody as far as i know spotted them underwater.
What about the blue sharks in Cornwall ? Have they actually been spotted underwater by scubadivers/spearfishers once in a while ?

Bubble Junky
August 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
They do blue shark tours - click the link I posted earlier.

docmartin
August 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
spain has the world's largest shark finning fleet - that probably answers the question.

hvulin
August 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM
these animals are too smart to be seen with us!

and good for them too! if not, someone would probably shoot them!

Air One
August 16th, 2007, 03:25 AM
In Western Brittany/France or in Cornwal/UK between April and July.
You can see those big sharks near the surface, they are 4-10 m long.
Of course they are not dangerous .
I don't know the english name : "pilgrim shark " maybe ?

_Bella_
August 16th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Basking shark is the name. Very very cool creatures.

Bubble Junky
August 16th, 2007, 05:12 AM
http://sharks3.free.fr/requins/req171.gif

I don't know the english name : "pilgrim shark " maybe ?
Basking sharks.

Air One
August 16th, 2007, 06:47 AM
thanks !

Scubakevdm
November 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM
It was disgusting, was it? So you were there?
Oh and this is related to sharks in Europe how?

Maybe it was a typo. Maybe a guy gotten eaten close to the beach in Austria.

girellator
November 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hello
We live in the south of France close to the sea .
My husband is a professional diver
He met one time a baskin shark , and one day he was working on the surface to a point south of Hyeres island , and he was with three blue shark wich stay we him during a quarter of an hour and go.
There is also great white shark in the mediterraean sea but fortunaly he never meet them !!

frenchiegirl
November 29th, 2007, 05:30 PM
there is currently an italian researcher trying to number the sharks and variety of sharks in the mediterranean.

There is supposed to be quite a number of sharks including great whites but they are too far from shore to be spotted by divers

Tomeck
November 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
there is currently an italian researcher trying to number the sharks and variety of sharks in the mediterranean.

There is supposed to be quite a number of sharks including great whites but they are too far from shore to be spotted by divers
I don't think there are great whites in Europe?

Scubakevdm
November 29th, 2007, 05:55 PM

In the Med.

dbulmer
November 30th, 2007, 04:22 AM
In UK waters there are Porbeagles, Makos, Blue, Thresher and the Basking shark - I've never seen them in the water but they do visit UK waters. I've seen dogfish which are members of the shark family. (As for rays, the Thornback ray has almost disappeared sadly.)

In Malta,Sicily there have been confirmed sightings of the Great White and video evidence .As a kid I saw a picture of a Great White caught in the Eastern Med.

Tigerman
November 30th, 2007, 06:45 AM
The most common ones in norwegian waters (in no particular order);

Blackmouth catshark (Lives near the bottomn, usually 55-1200 meters)
Velvet belly lantern shark (Deep waters, down to 500+ meters)
Spiny dogfish (Ocean down to 400 meters)
Small-spotted catshark (10-400 meters)
Greenland shark (First real big one with up to 7-8 meter length, lives at 200-600 meters tho)
Porbeagle (up to 3m long, 0-200 meters depth)
School shark (up to 2m long, Down to 550m depth)
Basking Shark (usually 8-10 meters but up 14.. Related to and feed like the whaleshark)
We also have some species dropping by every now and then, but these are the most common to be seen here, so I guess the answer is generally "below recreational depths"?

Boa Gialla
November 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Well, there are reports about Carcharodon carcharias in Mediterranean sea. There aren't places where you are sure to find them, but sometimes, in the summer mainly, great whites have been observed near the italian coast. Only sporadic events, of course.

As far as i know, some researcher are thinking about a "reproduction area" of the great whites between Sicily and Tunisia.

Ciao,
A.

frenchiegirl
November 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM

yes there are... google is your friend ;) and since I know you speak french, you can read this :

"On peut trouver le Grand Requin Blanc un peu partout dans les océans et les mers du globe. Il est bel et bien présent dans la mer Méditerranée et ses mers limitrophes (mer Adriatique, mer Tyrrhénienne, mer Ligurienne, mer des Baléares, mer Ionienne, mer Égée, mer de Marmara...). Depuis la raréfaction des requins blancs due à la pêche intensive et à la pollution, nos côtes sont quasiment dépourvues de danger; à peine une attaque de requin tous les trois ans, principalement en Italie du sud, dans la région de Malte, en Sicile, et en mer Adriatique où on le trouve en plus grand nombre (seulement 2 attaques officielles en France en plus d'un siècle, 8 en Italie). Avant l'avènement de la pêche moderne, les côtes européennes abritaient de nombreuses colonies de phoques moines et les eaux regorgeaient de bancs de poissons pélagiques. La Méditerranée de l'Antiquité grouillait alors de Grands Requins Blancs; décrites par Aristote, les attaques n'étaient pas rares et justifiaient dès cette époque la peur du requin en Méditerranée et ailleurs dans le monde."... extract from '+' (http://membres.lycos.fr/grandblanc/mediterranee.htm)

Tomeck
December 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Thank you for your informations. :japanese:

Argos
December 26th, 2007, 04:30 PM
South coast of Crete, Hammerheads and Great whites have been seen by me, also Whales though it was night and I could not see them distinctly enough to say what kind !

G.uy
May 28th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Maybe it was a typo. Maybe a guy gotten eaten close to the beach in Austria.

Austria is landlocked

300bar
May 28th, 2008, 02:50 PM
:11doh:

leapfrog
May 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM
spain has the world's largest shark finning fleet - that probably answers the question.
I'm not questioning whether this is correct or not but could ou qualify this information and what the source is, please? It would seem to me that it would be the Japanese but I have no data.

frenchiegirl
June 11th, 2008, 04:15 PM
a few weeks ago a couple of basking shark where seen by divers very close to the shore near Marseilles.

Unfortunately, the divers were no longer underwater but already back on the boat and heading home

Rhone Man
June 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
They do seem to be disappearing quickly: BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Fast fall of Mediterranean sharks (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7446112.stm)

ScubaErgoSum
October 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Lots of basking sharks around the Isle of Man in summer, usually reasonably happy to tolerate a snorkellor if youre quiet and still. I guarantee seeing a big one underwater when you dont expect it will ruin your air consumption figures! The blue shark trips off cornwall look ace.

chris_hull23
January 12th, 2011, 01:24 PM
ddddd

scubaal72
January 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
yep in the holds of long liners as another poster said....sad really....six gilled sharks are around Southern French coast...a few got hauled out by a fisherman out of Cagnes Sur Mer the other year....sad truth is that they are exceptionally rare and of course one of the most blatant examples of the human races' greedy over exploitation of the oceans

Jerome_Smeets
February 27th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Informative and updated website on sharks worldwide :Shark Year Magazine | Shark News and Information all year long at Shark Year . com (http://sharkyear.com/)

FinnMom
November 22nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Believe it or not, an oceanic whitetip once washed up on the eastern coast of Sweden. WAY beyond the straits of Denmark.

drbill
November 23rd, 2012, 11:46 AM
Undoubtedly something similar to our situation here off the coast of SoCal. When I first started diving these waters in the late 60s, sharks of several kinds abounded. Blue sharks were seen very frequently... often numbering in the dozens just on the way from one dive site to another on the boat. Today it is a very rare sighting. I think I've only seen one blue shark at the surface while on a dive boat. We stopped oiffering shark dives because a full dayt of chumming well offshore (5-13 miles) might yield a few small blues and a mako or two. Long liners and gillnetters got the majority of them and even though we've put bans on those activities in place off our coast, sharks recover slowly. Fortunately some species like soupfin (tope) sharks and angel sharks appear to be rebounding, possibly great whites too, but it is a slow process for sharks in general.

danvolker
November 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
I have done some diving off the coast of Italy, and it appears they have eaten(caught) all the fish except for the ones less than a few inches long... I would think a shark large enough to be dangerous, would have been caught and sold as "scallops". But with the lack of fish, there will be few sharks. I saw some Spearfisherman off of an area near Tropea that were swimming out a mile, to shoot trout sized fish, and then swim back....there is virtually no concern regarding sharks--just not enough large marine life to sustain many. There must be "some" places in the Mediterranean where more marine life exists, and where sharks are more common, but I would bet on many centuries of over-fishing to have destroyed the healthy balance that would have been there prior to the time of the Romans and the Greeks.

Redshift
December 18th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've seen a few Dogfish in Ireland, UK and mainland Portugal. But to really have a good chance of seeing nice sharks, the best spot should be the Azores. Mainly blue sharks and mako, but even whale sharks have been seen.

Plenty of info and pictures on the internet and videos on youtube.

divemalta
February 8th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Im malta we have a number of species of shark around the waters, from 6 Gills, Reef Sharks, Rays and even the occasional Great White!

NDS Scuba Diving Malta (http://www.nds-malta.com)

drbill
February 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Back in the 60s and 70s there were plenty of sharks in our waters (SoCal) but today they are a rare sighting topside or underwater. I imagine the same is true in Europe as well. Mike had it correct... they've been caught and many finned.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1