Questions for Suunto owners.

What describes you?

• Own one or more of these models (Cobra, Vyper, Vytec, Mosquito, D3)

Votes: 109 79.0%
  • Own one or more of these models (Stinger, Scorpion)

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Own two or more (models from both of the above categories)

Votes: 21 15.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
I would like to find out mainly, how many suunto owners have more than one suunto model. I am thinking of possibly offering a combination interface that has pins for both Cobra,Vyper,Vytec,Mosquito,D3 as well as for the Spyder/Stinger models. This would increase the versatility of the interface. I know there is a lot of you out there that have more than one suunto, but I need to find out if there are many that have the combination of cobra/spyder, vyper/spyder, etc. that would call for this type of dual-purpose interface. I will also begin offering a spyder/stinger kit version for those inclined to build it themselves.

I also need some info from spyder/stinger owners concerning the distance between contacts as I do not personally own either of these models.

Thanks.

jamiei once bubbled...
I also need some info from spyder/stinger owners concerning the distance between contacts as I do not personally own either of these models.

What exactly are you looking for for measurements? I have an interface for my Stinger, and I can probably get my hands on some calipers to get some decent measurements. Do you need the pin diameters? The depth the pins stick out of the holder? The inside/outside distances between the pins? The angles?

With the crappy ruler I have, I can tell you it's about 1/4 inch between the centers of the two bottom pins, and about 7/32 between the centers of the bottom pins and the top pin. But that's eyeballing with a ruler marked to 16ths...

i think the pin diameters are roughly the same as those on my cobra. I have been approached my several people asking me to build them an interface for their stinger/spyder, but have been unable to because I don't have those models at my disposal to know the distance between the three contacts on the computer. What would help for the design I plan on using would be the distance (if the dc is laid flat on a table) from the table to the center of the contacts on the dive computer. From what you say, the two bottom pins are about 1/4" apart and from the center of the bottom pins (between the two?) to the center of the top pin is almost 1/4". Basically, the top pin and middle pin are much closer together than the middle and bottom pin, correct?

jamiei once bubbled...
From what you say, the two bottom pins are about 1/4" apart and from the center of the bottom pins (between the two?) to the center of the top pin is almost 1/4". Basically, the top pin and middle pin are much closer together than the middle and bottom pin, correct?

When I say 'center' I mean the center of the pin. They form a triangle. One top pin, and two bottom pins. Taking the 'points' of the triangle as the center of each pin... the distance of the bottom of the triangle is 1/4", and the sides of the triangle is 7/32".

Now I'm not really sure how the whole thing works, but I do know that there is only one apparent contact on the computer itself, and that contact 'touches' the top pin. I have been able to use the interface with the computer 'face up', and the computer 'face down', so the 'top' pin touches the contact on the computer... so I'm not sure if the bottom two pins actually _do_ anything... it might be that all three are used for the spyder [or mosquito?], and only one for the stinger...

I'll try to get some digital photos if you think that will help?

the mosquito, i know has two pins just like my cobra. I know two pins for the stinger or sypder are ground pins and one is the I/O pin. If I had a pic of the contacts, i could probably tell a little more, so if anyone has one please send it my way. Do the two side pins contact metal on the case at all?

Because I am a complete newbie here and because I have been considering purchasing either a Vytec or a SmartCom, I have a couple questions.

What would this cable be used for? Would it allow both computers to interface with your PC so you only have one cable attached to the computer? Do the cables use serial port or USB?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom