Mini B, personal locator beacon, Sea Marshall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapan

New
Reaction score
Does anyone have any views on whether it is worth purchasing these things. I am thinking that if you tell the liveaboard that you have one it might be a useful radio tracker within a few miles if you/they fail to show at the exit point. I understand that 121.5 mhz is no longer used as a distress signal (now 406mhz and GPS) but 121.5 mhz is still the frequency used by search and rescue services at close range, right? Will most liveaboards or local worldwide SARs still carry equipment to search on 121.5 mhz?

Cheers

S

I did a bit of research on PLB's, the best source of information that I found was an article on the " Equiped to Survive" web site.
The Mini B, is the only dive rated PLB that I'm aware of, but as you mentioned it operates on the obsolessent 121.5 frequency, for that reason I don't recomend it.
The only way that I know to dive with a 406mhz PLB is to invest in a housing as well. Perhaps, in time PLB's may be as common as whistles, mirrors, and safety saussages, if so the price will drop as well.

I know this is an old post, but a google search for a PLB led me back to my favorite scuba forum ...

I haven't used this - but it seems like it's better than nothing! :)

Rated to 100m! SMRS-LD Lost Diver

The minimum response time for a 406MHz beacon can be up to 90 minutes before a search is even initiated and this is totally dependant on the person carrying the unit being able to switch it on…a difficult task if you’re unconscious or in Cold Shock response!

The minimum Alert time for a fully automatic Sea Marshall® 121.5 MHz PLB, to a boat fitted with a suitable alarm/receiver, is approx 15 seconds.

406 MHz PLBs are not fully automatic…useless if you are knocked unconscious.

406 MHz PLBs must be registered to each person and cannot be exchanged amongst crew members.

Other systems transmitting on frequencies away from 121.5 MHz cannot be tracked by the Search and Rescue Authorites. Which means that if the person in the water floats out of range of the receiver on the boat then the chances of them being located are dramatically reduced…the search will become visual only which is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Proximity Alerting systems, working on frequencies away from the SAR homing frequency, carry the risk of a crew member falling over board and becoming trapped next to the vessel, in a line or net perhaps, and the alarm not being raised because the person has not gone out of the monitored area resulting in drowning. Also such systems are operating on frequencies that cannot be tracked by the Search And Rescue Authorities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom