dry suit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darryl15

Registered
Reaction score
hi

I recently got new neoprene seals on my dry suit, but they were to tight so I "stretched them" by putting the neck over a tank. The neck seal is a little loose now, will it shrink back down a little or not.

Thanks

Darryl

I to just got a dry suit with a strangling tight grip on my neck. I am also wondering how much to stretch, and how much it will shrink back after I stretch. Is stretching better then trimming, and how do you decide which to do?

EDIT. The seals are neprene

I've never heard of a seal shrinking - neoprene or latex. If they do please tell.

With the neoprene neck seal - are you tucking it back in toward your neck when donned? The double layer should help. Although I can't imagine a neck as wide as the circumference of a tank.

I to just got a dry suit with a strangling tight grip on my neck. I am also wondering how much to stretch, and how much it will shrink back after I stretch. Is stretching better then trimming, and how do you decide which to do?

EDIT. The seals are neprene

neoprene seals can be stretched out a bit and will stay that way..Do not trim/cut neoprene seals as you would latex.remember to wear neoprene neck seal "skin against skin" by folding neck seal .

OK, I have stretched my seals for 2 days now, and I still feel like my head is going to explode when I put the suit on. What can I do. If you cant trim neoprene seals, and 2 days of stretching wont do the job, what is next?

OK, I have stretched my seals for 2 days now, and I still feel like my head is going to explode when I put the suit on. What can I do. If you cant trim neoprene seals, and 2 days of stretching wont do the job, what is next?

replace them with next size up..Most likely have to send suit out for neoprene neck seal replacement if stretching did not work.

Stretched them for another 2 days, and voila, perfect. Dove with the suit for the first time yesterday, and it was great. I have used latex neck seals up until now, but I really like the neoprene seals. With the latex, I seemed to always get a leak every time I look beside/behind me for a buddy check. With the neo seals, I have full movement without any leaks. Its great. I do have another neoprene question. When I took the dry suit off, I had my buddy help get my arms out, as the wrist seals are pretty tight. When he pulled on the wrists, I got a 1" tear on my left seal. I am wondering if anyone can give me some help on how to fix this, or point me to a site that has some good information. The entire seal is about 6 inches long, so I don’t need to have this tear "sealed", just need to STOP the tear from growing, so I don’t loose the whole seal on my next dive. Thanks in advance.

Fixing a neoprene tear is pretty easy. Buy some black neoprene glue from your LDS. Mix it up well, then coat both edges of the tear and let them dry (not touching) for 10-15 minutes. Do a second coat of glue in the same way, again letting it dry but this time for 20-30 minutes. Now carefully align the tear edges and bring them together, from the root of the tear on forward. You want the join to be a even and smooth as possible. Now using your fingers, pinch the join together tightly and now let the whole thing dry for 24 hrs.

I tried this, but it didnt work. I feel asleep after 12 hours of holding the two sides together with my fingers, and when I woke up, my fingers where stuck to the suit. Next time maybe ill ...kidding..thanks for the help. It worked great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom