When to have gear serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andi327

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know you are suppose to have some of your gear serviced, but exactly when should you have it serviced? Yearly? Every 5 years?

I know regulators are yearly, but what about your tank and do you get your BC inspected/serviced? Guess I didn't read the fine print when I bought everything....oh yea, I went diving the next day instead. Thanks in advance.

What about for warranties?

If i were going into caves, wrecks, doing real deep dives, etc, I may do yearly maintenance. I take good care of my gear, lubricate what needs it with silicon grease, store it safely, etc.

warranty??

I dive a lot, so anything that will go wrong should go wrong well within a year, such as manufacture defect. not much to go wrong with a regulator as long as you keep water out of the 1st stage. the second stage is just replaceable rubber parts in most cases.

BC, same thing. keep the bladder clean, store it slightly inflated. lubricate the gaskets and threads with silicon. lubricate zippers with silicion.

clean masks in mild detertent and warm water.

I clean BC and wetsuits with a mild solution of simple green and a lot of fresh water under pressure.

underwasser bolt:
If i were going into caves, wrecks, doing real deep dives, etc, I may do yearly maintenance. I take good care of my gear, lubricate what needs it with silicon grease, store it safely, etc.

warranty??

I dive a lot, so anything that will go wrong should go wrong well within a year, such as manufacture defect. not much to go wrong with a regulator as long as you keep water out of the 1st stage. the second stage is just replaceable rubber parts in most cases.

BC, same thing. keep the bladder clean, store it slightly inflated. lubricate the gaskets and threads with silicon. lubricate zippers with silicion.

clean masks in mild detertent and warm water.

I clean BC and wetsuits with a mild solution of simple green and a lot of fresh water under pressure.

How often do you lubricate your BC? 10 dives, 50 dives? This isn't something they taught in class. Yes, I did warranty my gear. Not sure if it'll really help. I bought my gear, went on one trip, everything worked great. Then, had my final two semester of college and haven't been able to dive until now.

I dont do it by number of dives. In salt water rinse gear daily. I I am diving three or four days, I may wait until the last day before I detail everything back for storage. fresh water is a bit more forgiving, but I never store dirty gear for any period of time.

I have bought used BC's that I had to take channel lock pliars too in order to remove the inflator assembly and vent valves from the BC. Threads almost froze together. I have found that a periodic application of a thin film of silicon stops this. I also keep a thin film of silicon on the rubber gaskets, and lubricate all zippers with a dab of silicon.

gear such as a torch will also need to have the o-rings periodically lubricated with silicon. Keep the silicon away from tank o-rings adn mouth peices.

We have our gear (BC, regs, tanks) checked out annually and typically during the winter/late spring when the dive shop could use a few extra bucks and our gear is just sitting on the rack anyway.

Andi311:
What about for warranties?

For the most part, scuba gear warranties cost more than they are worth.

However, the parts for life programs make sense if you are going to service your gear annually anyway.

I service my regs when inspection or performance indicate it is needed. I probably run 3 to 5 years between a full service. I have little use for warranties or parts for life programs.

I can tell when NOT to have your gear serviced - right before a big dive trip.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom