best place to complete my open water training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My wife and I will be finishing our closed water dive instruction on January 9. I am looking for the best location and resort to complete our open water training (in Feb). I would like to stay in the Caribbean Mexico or Central/South America
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is all new to us.

P.S. We would prefer a QUITE destination preferably without a big nightlife scene since we do not care for late night partying

P.S.S Great website I'm glade I found it!

I live in New York City. I haven't really figured out where I will do most of my diving, I imagine on short vacations to more tropical locations.
I am looking to make my first experience the best it can be.
Thanks

There are two types of divers, those who dive regularly and often and those who only dive on vacation. The first sort becomes skilled while the second sort rarely gets beyond adequate (often never reaches that point).

If you plan to join the ranks of the first type, I recommend taking your check out dives locally. Yes, you do have local diving.

If your goal is to be the second sort, choose your ideal vacation spot and then look for an instructor in that area.

Diving has been a life long dream of mine and I hope to join the ranks of the "first type"
My ideal vacation spot would not be a tropical Island. I am going specifically for the best dive experience I can have. I sure you remember your first open water dive, I wan't to make mine as spectactular as possible.

In that case, get your training locally.

Quarry dives after first experiencing the tropics are a disappointment. If you make quarry dives first, your tropical dives will be that much more spectacular.

Just my 02 cents? From your posts under Caribbean, imbluefish, I'm thinking that you and your wife are looking to do your OW check out dives on vacation in a warm climate with warm water. Can't blame you for that! NY is getting slammed this winter! You also stated that you wanted your first OW dives to be as spectacular as possible. Walter is correct... if you dive a quarry or the NY Sound for your 1st OW dive, the tropical dives after will be that much more spectacular. But, if your 1st dives are in warm, tropical water with 100 ft. visibility and lots of great stuff to see, you'll get the "itch" to continue on to the "First Type", as Walter stated.
For a nice quiet destination to go with your wife for your check outs with great diving you might want to look into Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. Great diving, quiet scene and a short flight from NYC.

I totally agree with Walter learning to dive locally in less than ideal conditions is best. It will make you a much better diver. That being said, if you want the best first diving experience then go to Bonaire. Super easy diving in some of the best diving this side of the planet. It's a small laid back island that is dedicated to divers. There are lots of good dive operations. Are you looking for a particular cert agency (PADI, NAUI,SSI)? This is the place we stay on Bonaire. www.buddydive.com
They have a nice resort and a great dive staff.
Other Bonaire sites www.infobonaire.com and a board similar to this one, www.bonairetalk.com

Back
Top Bottom