Retractor's for console? What else to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I saw in another thread that people were regretting having ever bought retractors for their console. My question is - if not a retractor - then how do you attach your console so it doesn't dangle besides tucking it through the cumberbund buckle?

I don't know. Personally, I love my retractor. I guess you could just clip it off, but then you'd have to unclip it every time you wanted to check your gages. Whats the link to that previous thread?

My BCD has a kangaroo pouch with a retractor built in, to which I clip my console. I love it.

My favorite way of attaching just about anything to a DRing is a zip tie, and a bolt snap.

My buddy just lost his compass AND retractor. Apparently removing the retractor from the BC during a dive is not the best approach! :shakehead

Retractors are great while they are working. The problem is that over time, they tend to fail, and the attachment point is generally plastic which is also subject to breakage. They are expensive compared to my preferred method of attaching things!

Of the top changes I ever made to make my diving more fun, moving my gages to my wrists is very high on the list. They are always there in front of your eyes to glance at, without having to reach down for anything. Your awareness of depth and time suddenly improves dramatically. Imagine if when you were driving your car, every time you wanted to know how fast you were driving, you had to reach down and pull up some retractable speedometer. But by having it right in front of your eyes, you are always aware of your speed (regardless of what you told the policeman:wink: ).

Just my 2 cents and what works for me.

Rick Inman:
Of the top changes I ever made to make my diving more fun, moving my gages to my wrists is very high on the list. They are always there in front of your eyes to glance at, without having to reach down for anything. Your awareness of depth and time suddenly improves dramatically. Imagine if when you were driving your car, every time you wanted to know how fast you were driving, you had to reach down and pull up some retractable speedometer. But by having it right in front of your eyes, you are always aware of your speed (regardless of what you told the policeman:wink: ).

Just my 2 cents and what works for me.

I agree with this, and good car analogy! At this point my SPG is the only gauge not on my wrist. IMO having the computer, and compass on the wrist is the only way to fly!

i used to have my computer and spg in a console, which i attached to a shoulder d ring on my bcd, via retractor. it was pretty convenient because the retractor would hold my console such that i would just have to look down to check my comp and spg. the only downside would be that for me to get out of my bcd, i would have to unclip the console. otherwise, it worked great.
once i moved my computer to my wrist i just clipped my spg with a bolt snap to a lower d ring on the bcd.

Love my retractor. When it fails I will get another one. Everyone is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom