Trip Report; Juneau, Seward & Dutch Harbor, Alaska 7/26-8/03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Trip Report; Juneau, Seward & Dutch Harbor, Alaska 7/26-8/03

I wanted to show ScubaGypsy from SB a great time diving in Alaska since it was his first visit to the state. I wanted this to be a special first visit for him so in the works was a series of flights to and dives in Juneau, Seward & Dutch Harbor. Our adventure time spent together was exciting and the dives were a good representative sampling of the diving in Alaska. Although I am moving out of Alaska soon, I hope to return for more exploration.

Juneau 07/26-07/27:
Weather: low 50’s with clouds to rain
Dives: Shrine of St. Therese and Ann Coleman Drive (both shore dives)
Water Temp: 46F-48F at depth
Visibility: 0-5’ from 0-25’ depth and 10-15’ from 25’-40’ depth.
General: We rented tanks from Carlene at the Scuba Tank. The Scuba Tank had a pretty good selection of high quality gear and Carlene was very helpful. Juneau’s got the right idea and has dive sites marked on their tourism map! From land we saw the Mendenhall Glacier where we drank some ~3,000 year old ice, saw Black bears at a salmon filled stream and hiked to a waterfall on a nearby trail.
Underwater Aside from the usual Alaskan fare we saw geoducks galore protruding from the sand, cockle shells (baseball size), lots of green sea urchins, krill everywhere and large Dungeness crabs. Sunflower and Linckia starfish also seemed exceptionally large here.

Seward 07/28-07/30:
Weather: 62F-70F overcast to sunny
Dives: Shackle, Fox Island Barge, Hidden treasure, Boulder City, Shark’s Tooth, Mary’s Rock (all boat dives in Resurrection Bay).
Water Temp: 48F-52F at depth
Visibility: Anywhere from 5-25’ at depth
General: We rented tanks through Dive Alaska and had our boat dives on Scott’s boat Tide Dancer. The boat was not crowded (4-6 divers max) and we felt right at home. Scott & Karen made us as well as other divers (some taking classes) feel comfortable and welcome. Boat ride was steady and slow at 8 knots. Plenty of time to get geared up on the way out and have all equipment readied on the return ride. The boat ride itself was filled with a great deal of marine life. We saw Orcas breaching (a first for me in Resurrection Bay), Humpback Whales, Sea Lions hauled out basking in the sun, Bald Eagles, Puffins, Cormorants, Murres, Pigeon Guillemots, snow covered mountains and even a nearby glacier leading into the water.
Underwater: The usual Alaskan fare was here too, but focus was on the large Ling Cod, schools of Black Rockfish, Wolf Eels, Octopi, Plumose Anemones, Beaded Anemones, Sculpins, Puget Sound King Crab, crabs galore and many, many invertebrates. This area is heaven for a macro photographer snapping delicate Nudibranchs and unusual Ascidians. Late summer in Seward bears the most prolific and diverse range of creatures to see out of the entire year.

Dutch Harbor & Unalaska 07/31-08/03:
Weather: 50F-54F overcast to rainy
Dives: Bunker Reef, Landfill Road, Devilfish Cove & Ballyhoo Rd Kelp Bed (only this final dive was by boat).
Water Temp: 41F-46F at depth
Visibility: Anywhere from 10’-30’ at depth
General: There are no dive shops in Dutch Harbor or Unalaska, but Brandon from SB had us all set up with air fills for the dives. It truly was a great experience for both of us to meet and dive with the Bering Sea Divers; Brandon, Roger, Shari & Jennifer. Without their genuine Alaskan hospitality we would not have had such a good time diving. It was this kindness that we experienced for the duration of the trip. Upon arrival I discovered one of my bags had not arrived which had my undergarment in it. Roger did not hesitate and provided me with one for the night dive so we could dive right away. We were greeted with some post-dive beers. Thanks also to Shari for taking us out in her boat Os des Poissons to Devilfish Cove. On the 10 minute boat ride we saw Bald Eagles, Sandpipers, Murres, a Humpback whale in the distance and Salmon that seemed to be jumping at least 1-2 a minute clear out of the water. Shari informed us that the whale we saw earlier had dived close to us while we were underwater. We of course did not see it.
Underwater: We saw Octopus, absolutely huge fearless Sculpins, Mottled Anemones, Plumose Anemones, Soles, Flounder, Kelpfish, Rockfish, Wolf Eels, Irish Lords and a Grunt Sculpin.

And quite a wonderful adventure it was! Alaska has much to be proud of in terms of her underwater topology. AlaskaDiver did a fabulous job providing such a wonderful overview of her state and showing why its seas are so special. Her planning and realization were meticulous but her company and dive ability were most special indeed.

As wonderful as our dive site selections were, one would be remiss not to mention the special hospitality that was encountered during our stays. Carlene from Scuba Tank in Juneau started us off on some beautiful shore dives which was followed by three perfect days in Resurrection Bay out of Seward aboard Scott and Karens Dive Alaska charter boat. This visit was complete with a real world viewing of breaching Orcas during our return to the Seward dock on our final day! And finally, last but certainly not least was the welcoming hospitality of Brandon and team from Dutch Harbor. They not only met us at the airport for our arrival, but we were in the reefs of the Bering Sea within an hour of landing! Of course one would be remiss not to mention the wonderful seafood buffet with all-you-can-eat kind crab on Wednesday nights!

Apparently we were the first "dive tourists" that Brandon and Company had ever hosted on Dutch Harbor though any future serious divers that are seeking true exotic underwater worlds might surely take note to include Dutch Harbor and all of Alaska in any future plans.

Thank you one and all for such a fabulous experience!!

Back
Top Bottom