Hurricane? Are You Doing Anything?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So...

time to stock up?

I have the dried rice, stuff like that....no radio.

Flashlights: check

Water: Nope...hot water heater ???

Extra Propane for grill: tomorrow

what's the latest?

catherine96821:
So...

time to stock up?

I have the dried rice, stuff like that....no radio.

Flashlights: check

Water: Nope...hot water heater ???

Extra Propane for grill: tomorrow

what's the latest?

You can fill up a tub to store water. If you are not on a well, you maybe ok with water, but if your hit likely not as the water may not be safe to drink.

We were in Key West during Hurricane Andrew. A scary experience to be sure even if we did not get hit directly.

I'm sending good thoughts your way. I hope you are all safe, and that the storm does not hit you all directly, or stick around long.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/cphc/

Luckily we have a hurricane plan at work, we have enough for 5+ days for 6 people (they say you should have for 3 days), we even have chemical toilets!

Here is a list of what one should have prepared and what you can do for your home.

When the earth quake hit last year the care home didn't have any more water in the pipes (up on a hill), but down in Waikiki we still had water...

oh, thank-you.

I hope somebody calls me and gives me the two hour warning.

My daughter is camping on the North Shore....its raining already here. No wind though.

Cuuuuute bibs with the sharks!

get those into Socal!

That last time I looked it was over a thousand miles away.

When I was in the Caribbean, we would have hurricane parties and plot the coordinates on a grid map that you would pick up at the grocery store, old school style. Everybody would get kind of crazy from the anticipation.

I face south, I bet that is the direction its coming from? I should look. Because that would take my roof off.

They say the worst thing, assuming you don't live down in a flood zone is that the barges get held up and everyone runs out of TP...thats what I heard.

I will settle for getting the kids home and off the streets.

ROOF | STRAPS | SHUTTERS | DOORS | GARAGE DOORS
...well I don't think thats going to happen...

I'll bring in the pool furniture.

The West Indians used to say it was better to crack your windows, is that true? Grass huts fare better in some ways they say....
I thought you were not supposed to seal your house up tight, because you get more force breaking the windows...

In my case, the homes all have jalousie, so they aren't air tight. we are told to put tape over the glass so if it shatters it will be on the tape....what ever...those are the instructions..

In Europe, around Feb and March, we used to have Orcanes...very strong wind storms. One year it was so strong that the storm lifted a 50-60meter long copper roof off a building in one piece...

Just checked accuweather and this is what they reported.

very powerful Category 3 storm. As of 2 a.m. PDT Sunday, the storm was around 870 miles east-southeast of Hilo, Hawaii. Hurricane Flossie was located near 13.6 north and 143.5 west and is moving to the west at 14 mph. The pressure of Flossie is 948 mb or 27.99 inches of mercury. Flossie is a relatively small storm with hurricane-force winds extending 40 miles from the center and tropical storm-force winds extending 90 miles from the center. Flossie should continue to keep its strength for the next 24-36 hours before moving into cooler waters and starting to weaken as the storm moves closer to the Big Island of Hawaii.

It appears it might go south of you guys so I hope it does and you guys keep safe.

During Wilma, I had plywood on the inside of my jalousie door. It was closed & locked but somehow the wind sort of suctioned the door outward. Couldn't get it closed again & lost it. I had plywood covering the front door opening for days before it was replaced.

Y'all stay safe out there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom