Wetsuit in low 30*F water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banaticus

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a couple posts here in which people talk about using a wetsuit (7mm to start, layered wetsuits after that for 10mm-14mm with a farmer john jacket over a onepiece) down to the 40's (Fahrenheit). How about doing the same, if one is a hardy individual who wears short/tshirt outside in the 50's, in iced-over water that's just barely above freezing, maybe 33-35*F? How cold is a 180' deep relatively still fresh-water lake when there's a bit of ice on the top?

Keep in mind that water takes the heat away from your body 10 times faster than air.

Lots of neoprene requires lots of weight. Lots of neoprene also takes away lots of flexibility.

I have no idea what your financial position is, but diving waters of those temperatures, I'd strongly recommend that you give serious consideration to purchasing a dry suit instead of layering up so much neoprene.

the K

shorts and t shirt in 50 degree air is one thing, particularly if you're working. A big guy can generate heat faster than the air can take it away. Water however is 20+ times more effective than air at stealing heat. For an uninsulated body in 50 degree water, SURVIVAL (not comfort) time is not much more than an hour or 2 tops. Down into the 30s we're talking minutes. No wetsuit is going to keep you warm, they all just slow doen the rate of heat loss. While I have seen people doing ice dives in wetsuits, it is usually only for a single dive, and only if a warm shelter is immediately available to change into warm dry clothes.

Like hemlon said, those conditions cry out for a drysuit.

It really depends on the person. I regularly dive in 34-36 degree water in just a 7mm suit and do multiple dives a day. However, I live up north in Vermont, and go hunting in the winter in a sweatshirt ( with a henley underneath) and wool pants when it's in the 20's and 30's, so I have thicker blood. I have to say though, that the older I get ( I'm 41), the colder I get, and I can see a drysuit in the next few years becoming a necessity to keep diving in the cold waters up here.
C-Dawg

Banaticus:
I've seen a couple posts here in which people talk about using a wetsuit (7mm to start, layered wetsuits after that for 10mm-14mm with a farmer john jacket over a onepiece) down to the 40's (Fahrenheit). How about doing the same, if one is a hardy individual who wears short/tshirt outside in the 50's, in iced-over water that's just barely above freezing, maybe 33-35*F? How cold is a 180' deep relatively still fresh-water lake when there's a bit of ice on the top?

I dive a wetsuit in water down to 36*, so far. (2 piece 7mm) As long as the outside air temp is reasonable, I can keep doing that for multiple dives. If the air is also cold and I can't re-warm between dives (the standard New Years Day dives, for example), I can only get in one dive for the day. I have stuffed my wet gear in my car with the engine running and heater going full blast to warm up the cold wet suit so I could put it back on, even!

I've heard the standard complaints about the extra weight needed, and lack of mobility with diving all that neoprene. I don't agree that its an issue. So what if I need 26lbs of lead to sink my neoprene? It doesn't limit me in any way. I don't notice a lack of mobility.

If you want to do it, you can. I'm living proof of it.

However, this year I did go and buy a dry suit. New Years Day - I'll get in 2 dives this year!

Ken

If you want to enjoy your dive or get serious bottom time, dive dry. I imagine up north, the dive shops probably rent them if you don't want to jump into purchasing one

I have personally been in 36 degree water for 20 minutes in a wetsuit.....I have a drysuit on order, and I am that guy that walks around in shorts and t in the winter. Canadian after all :wink: The other thing to look at is, are you serious about 180 feet in a freshwater lake in a wetsuit? That depth will compress a wetsuit big time, and while 20 minutes was no big deal for me, if you are actually going to do a 180' dive, you'll be in deco, and you don't want to be hanging in those water temps in a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom