Bright colored wetsuits, since sharks like dark-colored seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banaticus

Registered
Reaction score
Noting beforehand that shark attacks/bites are extremely rare, it's my understanding that most shark attacks are presumed to be because the shark confuses the person with a seal. So, wouldn't bright colored wetsuits, like reggae wetsuits or like something from the 80's with a bold primary color pallette be more popular? Most wetsuits for men that I've seen are sort of faux-secret-agent-man, pretty much all black with perhaps a bit of white or color here or there. Why don't more people wear something like these rescue diver suits: http://www.hendersonusa.com/product_rescue.html

Are there any plaid, paisley or herringbone/houndstooth-pattern wetsuits?

Question for you, what color does the color red look like at depth? :wink:

John

Some divers wear camouflage :hideing_b because sharks will usually swim around kelp

Because you look like a yummy banana -- I'm rather skeptical about sharks being attracted to the color yellow.

I doubt the yellow stripes on my suits arms will attract sharks any more than the red wing on my back will.

Dave

According to one of the shows that I watched during shark week, The great white are very attracted to bright yellow and orange and red. The sharks showed intrest in those colors over black.

anytime:
According to one of the shows that I watched during shark week, The great white are very attracted to bright yellow and orange and red. The sharks showed intrest in those colors over black.

I saw this as well. At least for that Great White that they tested it on, the shark was much more attracted to the bright colored mannequins than the black mannequin.

I think you are way better off putting some geometrical patterns or complex math equations on your suit. Im pretty sure that this would confuse them more than a different color; at least it confused me alot when I was in school.

Teamcasa:
I doubt the yellow stripes on my suits arms will attract sharks any more than the red wing on my back will.

Dave
The red wing will attract Bull sharks O-LAY! :rofl3:(sorry I couldn't resist)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom