Shop / Store Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnDough

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for software to run a Shop. I'm not sure whats available for 'all in one' software VS using a couple different packages.
I would like
retail inventory with suppliers / cost / multi markup levels / ect
rental Inventory - tracking
customer info / courses taken /purchase history/ ect
employee info / qualifications
course info
trip planing
newsletters

and all the other normal things that should be tracked

Software / Company names and or Links would be appreciated

(Sorry if this is in the wrong Forum, I wasnt sure which would be best.)

Where are you located? The bicycle shop that I work for has a really nice software program that sounds like it would cover all the things you mention. We can track all purchases of all our customers in a database, we track all sales reports and can compare them to previous quarters/years. We can also program in different price levels for our discount program, so the prices will automatically be adjusted for those customers. The reason I ask where you live, is because I think it is a local guy that wrote the program for us.

Jim

What agency do you use for the majority of your certs? The larger agencies offer software packages that are custom tailored to dive shops.

Jackie

JohnDough:
I'm looking for suggestions for software to run a Shop. I'm not sure whats available for 'all in one' software VS using a couple different packages.

There's no universal SW for these things, it usually requires some level of customizing to fit your needs.

I'd suggest you find a local developer of a similar program, sit down and have a talk with him to see if that can put you on the right track. You'll still be the one that needs to define the requirements/processes & sub-processes... You can also hire a consultant for that, but I'd avoid them. :)

This wont help you but it may give you a smile.

I was shopping for a cash register for my business and went into a store that handled just that kind of equipment. I must have looked at 15 differerent cash registers and I asked the guy the same question I ask anyone selling equipment...."What do you use?"

He just smiled sheepishly and went over and pulled out a wooden drawer that had dividers in it. He didnt even use a cash register.

Probably wont work for you.....ended up working for me though.

Have you looked at Dive Shop Express? I am not sure of the employee request portion; I specialize in inventory control.

http://www.diveshopexpress.com/

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the replies. I thought with all the shops there would be a small selection targeted at dive shops. Guess there arent alot of choices.

Tom. I looked at your link- is there a a demo somewhere?

I use ajv software dive shop express. There are a good many dive shops using it. Scuba Ware is also popular. Some people also use quick books POS. I like dive shop express a good bit, but it doesn't tie in with newsletters or email.

Brent

You could always look for a custom software developer. Custom database applications aren't usually too bad, and if done right, can make you tons of money. For a couple of years, I did support and development work with a Filemaker developer. His biggest batch of clients was for a custom pest control database. It handled route sheets, invoicing, inventory, customer information, etc. He developed it for one client, then began to market it to others(the original company gets a cut from each sale). We would literally expect to see a 6 figure increase in profits after a year, due to the ability to do better marketing such as automatic reminder letters for annual sprays, followup letters offering related services, etc. The software paid for itself every time.

Usually, the projects are done in phases, to lessen the upfront cost of the system. You figure out what the core features are, and break them down in importance. He markets almost exclusively to small business owners, and they generally love him. If I were starting a shop, that's what I would do. Then again, I would build it myself, so I am biased :)

Back
Top Bottom