Best diving in the St. Lawrence/1000 Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
At the urging of various members of the boards I am about to take the punge into fresh water diving. I am making plans for next summer. What's the best area to dive in the St. Lawrence/1000 Islands region? Can anyone steer me to a good dive op. Will a 7mm do it? Thanks for the help.

Alex Bay and Rockport area get kind of toasty in the summer. It ranges between 40f in early Spring to 73-75f towards the middle to end of summer. I would say if you want to dive up there or in your area all year long get a Drysuit but if your going to be a Summer diver in Alex Bay buy a 3mil. If you like the idea of also getting in to doing some of the wreck dives in Kingston in the Summer a 5-7mil will be good, thermoclines up that way.. All the area's up in the 1000 Island Region have awesome places to dive. Check out the post on the main club page for best wrecks. Personally I dive dry and only dive on Canadian Charters up there. They have tons to choose from and the exchange rate makes diving up there alot cheaper. :)

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...
At the urging of various members of the boards I am about to take the punge into fresh water diving. I am making plans for next summer. What's the best area to dive in the St. Lawrence/1000 Islands region? Can anyone steer me to a good dive op. Will a 7mm do it? Thanks for the help.

I live just outside of Brockville in the good ole' 1000 Islands and I dive in my 5/7mm Henderson year-round, in the winter I add a 3mm hooded vest that does me fine.

I suggest that you check out the following weblink and look under the Brockville and Kingston section. Personally I recommend Limestone Diving for Charters in the Kingston area and Diver's Paradise, Abucs and Sea n Sky charters in the Brockville area.

http://www.scubaq.ca/ontarioscubadiving/

I will also note that I have my own boat ( pleasure boat not charter ) and my cottage is mere yards from the Daryaw wreck. If you ever get up this way let me know ( PM me if you wish) and I'll see what I can do in getting any additional info you might need.

Tim Ingersoll once bubbled...

How can any diver living in Rochester not have gone diving in the 1000 Islands? If I was in Rochester I would be diving in Kingston or Brockville every weekend for sure. Late August and earlySept is the best time for anyone that does not like the cold. Wet suit is optional that time of the year (for Canadians anyways).

Most respectable charter operators will not let attorneys wear spedos on their boats.:D

Coyote once bubbled...

Where outside of Brockville? my parents live in Johnstown

Just outside the Brockville city limits. My cottage is at Hudson Point just to the West of B-ville.

GTADiver once bubbled...

How can any diver living in Rochester not have gone diving in the 1000 Islands? If I was in Rochester I would be diving in Kingston or Brockville every weekend for sure. Late August and earlySept is the best time for anyone that does not like the cold. Wet suit is optional that time of the year (for Canadians anyways).

Most respectable charter operators will not let attorneys wear spedos on their boats.:D

Lets get this straight:
1) I do not, never have and never will wear a "speedo" on a dive boat.
2) I am spoiled rotten by the diving that I do (and yes, I appreciate how fortunate I am). I work 70 hours a week to spend three to four weeks in the Caribbean every year so the jones to dive is never overwhelming. I have trips to Cayman Brac, Provodenciales and Cozumel coming in the next four months. Its hard to justify donning a drysuit and taking the plunge in 34 degree water to look at your odd lake trout.
3) Cold water is cold.
4) Did I mention cold water?
5) Lastly, and most importantly, my assimilation is just beginning. The only divers I have known prior to joining this board have been fellow Caribbean divers. Since joining the board I have a sudden strange and growing urge to dive in fresh water.

So. . . .back off man, I'm a diver!

Hi Tim,

Spedos are required diving apparel in the Province of Quebec under their new diving regulations. I wouldn't joke about something like that.....LOL

When you venture up let me know and I will take you to some good dive sites.

We will assimilate you.

It must be the French influence. The only speedo I have ever seen on a dive boat was on Fifi a owner/operator in Provodenciales. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. (Great dive op by the way - Caicos Adventures).

Back
Top Bottom