08_11 Spear fishing Barwell Island, Seward

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I went out with Scott And Karen with Dive Alaska on their boat the Tide Dancer on Saturday to witness some spear fishing. It was a lot more work than I anticipated. Not all shots were accurate and the reloading took a bit of time. I looked for large fish and took photos of others. What an experience! All speared fish were taken for food and none was wasted. There were Black Rockfish, Tiger Rockfish (beautifully striped) and Ling Cod speared.

On the first dive I saw a Prowfish for the first time ever. They look like an eel with a blunt head, have white dots/holes (perhaps some sort of sensory ampulae?) surrounding the eye area and feed on jellyfish. We definitely let it live. On the second dive I saw a Murre diving underwater for the first time (I’ve seen them dive underwater at the Sea Life Center - but that really doesn't count). It was very curious, flapped its wings, circled me twice and paused to look at the canister light briefly. Made me smile thinking of a 'deer in the headlights'. I only was able to snap 1 shot of it. I will try to post a few images soon. Visibility was pretty poor due to the particulate in the water, but the air temps were upper 60's low 70's with water around 53F. This is balmy Alaskan diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom