DS leak repair is $250!! Other options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have this occasional leak with my drysuit. If I bend forward, because the suit is slightly too short for me, the forward bend pulls the latex neck seal away from the back of my neck and I get a leak. It doesn't happen too often (maybe if I look between my legs, or turn my neck way around) but it happens enough that I would like to fix it.

It's a Diving Concepts Ultra Flex Pro, and DC wants $200 to $250 to make the alteration, plus have me drive four hours to Seattle to have a dealer measure me. I have a call in to Superior, so we'll see what they say.

I'm just wondering if there are other options. What about adding a Bio-Seal? How about switching to a neoprene neck seal? If I could find a neck seal that was about 2-3 inches taller up my neck, that might solve the problem.

Ideas?

but it sounds like to me that your suit is just too short and the neck seal is traveling down your neck as you stretch. That will most likely not be fixed by the bio-seal.
In reading your post, it sounds like one of two things is happening: what I just described up above, which means you need alterations and I sure can't help you there (although I've heard nothing but good things about superior) or you need a new, higher neck seal, and since I don't know if you have a bellows seal or not I can't help you on that either. But, you CAN get a bellows-type seal, and possibly that will work for you. Replacing seals is not that hard, BTW.
You might want to just call Superior and e-mail them pictures of the neck seal. they may be able to solve your problem easily.
pm me and I'll send you some links to people who could help you find new neck seals, as well as help you install them if you need to.
That's a lot of money to toss into major alterations, though, until you've exhausted other, cheaper avenues.

I'm currently using a bellows neck seal. Yeah, I have, and can can easily replace all my own DS seals, no problem.

dannobee:
There are a couple of different styles of latex neck seals out there. I think OS systems has them, among others.

If you want to try a bioseal, I've got one laying around somewhere. You're welcome to try it. I don't use it.

Dan
Can I buy it from you?

PM sent...

If you go with a neoprene seal it will probably cover more area on your neck as you tuck it in to create the seal. When you bend it may not come loose but should unroll slightly. Besides neoprene seals are warmer! :D

Paula

contact mark owens at superior dry suit repair. He has a website but I dont know off-hand so you might want to google it. He can fix anything for cheap.

USIA:
It sounds like the torso is too small. Was this a custom suit?
Yup...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom