Wrecks off the Gulf Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Anyone have information on any decent divable wrecks off of the Texas or Louisiana coast?

I have checked around with some local sources, but no one seems to know of any. With as much shipping and water traffic that the Gulf has, it is hard to believe there is nothing noteworthy in this area.

Of course, considering our offshore water conditions, they might be there, but nobody can see them!

There is the V.A. Fogg and the Liberty Ships about 40 miles off of Freeport. The Fogg was a tanker that exploded and sunk in the early 1970's. The reck is pretty mangled up because of the origional explosion and due to the fact that the Coast Guard blew the superstructure because it was a hazard to navigation. There are also (I think) two Liberty Ship hulls that were sunk at the site as an artificial reef project. The link below is to a TPWD page. Scroll down the page and there is a link that lists the details and coordinates for all of the artificial reef sites along the Texas Gulf Coast. Hope this helps.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/reef/artreef.htm

Go to a good fishing store. They sell a book titled "Texas Offshore Structure Guide" that list every wreck, rig, submerged rig, etc. in the Gulf. It includes GPS coordinates to the wrecks. It is published by Shoreline Publishing (713)973-1627.

I'd be happy to post what's out there, just let me know where you are going out of. i.e. Galveston, Freeport, Port O'Conner, etc.

scubatoad:
My Florida Dive book lists 46 diving points off of Pensacola alone! There are hundreds in the gulf.

My book shows over 100 just out of Galveston and Freeport. Some are probably to deep to dive but most of them are in the 60'-120' range....

Back
Top Bottom