Hammerhead attack in Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_katt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This article was in the Sydney Morning Herald today...(sorry its so long!)

Dutch tourist attacked by hammerhead shark
December 30 2002

A 20-year-old Dutch tourist attacked by a hammerhead shark in far north Queensland yesterday suffered severe lacerations to her left arm, authorities said.
Intensive care paramedic Chris Beadnell, who attended the scene, said he believed the woman was snorkelling with a tour group near Upolo Cay, 16 nautical miles from Cairns, when the attack occurred between 2.30 and 3pm.
He said she was immediately brought back to the boat, which then met up with the Queensland Rescue helicopter at Upolo Cay.
Mr Beadnell said the woman had been flown to the Cairns Base Hospital, where she was conscious and reported to be in a stable condition.
"I don't think anyone witnessed the attack, but the girl suffered very severe lacerations to her left arm," he said.
Mr Beadnell said her arm was not severed by the shark, but she would need surgery.
He said the woman's description of the shark matched that of a large hammerhead.
The incident follows the death of 23-year-old Bo Martin after being bitten by bull shark in a Gold Coast canal earlier this month.

And I thought that Hammerheads were reasonably gentle... maybe she provoked him.

Any informed opinions?

Thank God she made it........a shark that size regardless of its disposition could have easily killed her

Rooster1 once bubbled...
Thank God she made it........a shark that size regardless of its disposition could have easily killed her

I think that is the point most people miss when relating these 'attacks.' If a shark attacked someone with the intention of killing them, they would easily accomplish this.

There would not be 'severe lacerations' there would be entire body parts missing.

I attended a shark exhibit an an aquarium once, where there was a lot of information about sharks and their habits and methods of finding prey.

To summarize what I learned:

Sharks generally are attracted to 'erratic' signals such as a swimmer (and especially a dog) in the water. These signals are interpreted much the same as the signals from a wounded fish or other creature. Divers are rarely molested, mainly because we dont normally cause the splashing movements on the surface that tend to attract them.

Attacks are much more prevelant in dark or murky water or around sundown as it become difficult for them to distinguish prey.

When a shark bites a person, they quickly find that people do not taste well to their liking, and release them. They much prefer the soft abundant blubber of seals, etc. and humans just dont have that kind of fat on them (most of us anyway) :wink:

Unfortunately, due to the size and power and number of teeth in the mouth of a shark, even a 'taste' can cause a human severe damage.

But, before we go running off about the 'poor humans', remember it is US who chose to swim in THEIR food bowl. Once we enter the water, we are no longer at the top of the food chain.

Fascinating creatures, its a shame they get such bad publicity.

One more thought before I end this post:

How many safe airplane landing occur each day? Notice how you never hear about the thousands of those, but let one crash and it is in the news for days...

How many safe airplane landing occur each day? Notice how you never hear about the thousands of those, but let one crash and it is in the news for days...

I use the same type of analogy when I try to get my parents to let me sky dive. You never hear about the thousands of people everyday that make it to the ground alright...just the rare ones that have problems.

Amber

I like your signature quote Amber, is that new? Kinda makes me glad I'm not one of those 'overly happy' people :D

IMO, sharks get a bad rap. Yes, there are some out there with nasty attitudes, Bulls for instance, but as a whole the sharks are just being sharks! If that bothers anyone, stay out of the water!

Yes, it's a new quote. I use it on my profile for yahoo and thought it might give people something to think about next time they are happy :D

Dee once bubbled...
IMO, sharks get a bad rap. Yes, there are some out there with nasty attitudes, Bulls for instance, but as a whole the sharks are just being sharks! If that bothers anyone, stay out of the water!

In a strictly comparison type ratio, the percentage of people I've met that have bad attitudes greatly outweigh the percentage of sharks with them! (of course that is one of the downsides to working in retail) :D
Come to think of it, I know a few people I wouldnt mind introducing to a bull shark... j/k

scuba_katt once bubbled...
This article was in the Sydney Morning Herald today...(sorry its so long!)

Dutch tourist attacked by hammerhead shark
December 30 2002

<snip>

And I thought that Hammerheads were reasonably gentle... maybe she provoked him.

Any informed opinions?

First of all, the Dutch taste good! All that yummy cheese...mmmmm :)

Just kidding of course. Hammerheads in groups are docile (If you can use that word to describe a shark). Loners, especially lone males are not.

My source is the Discovery Channel so take that for what it's worth.

R..

I find that aa "shark attack" will always be hyped up by the media. People will always relate it to the film "Jaws" so no matter what people are taught by real documentarys that tell the truth, will always be outweighed by the media.

I believe this instance was very much as Cave Diver stated, either misidentifying the woman as food or an injuryed animal - or that the woman interferred with the shark and the bite was a warning.

If a sharks wants you for its meal, it will take you for its meal. Trust me, it wont ask politely first with a little nibble!!!!

I am pleased this lady got out alive, but I dont believe the shark had any intention of feasting that day. And even if it had, it certainly wouldnt be on a boney human !

Back
Top Bottom