Is Seal Saver bad for latex seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I was just talking to a person at DUI and he said they do not recommend using seal saver on the latex seals because it makes them softer and overall degrade faster. I told him this was silicone, but I wonder if they have some kind of internal bulletin that warns against using petroleum products on seals and maybe that is what he was going off of? Or do you agree that seal saver is bad? I have the seal saver from Aquaseal.

I think it's ok to use seal saver (silicone) as long as you clean the seals first. If you just throw on some seal saver you actually trap oil and dirt in the pores of the latex.

Seal Saver will degrade the glue on DUI suits, and (especially) make it tough to replace the seals later on.

I know for a fact that it will not degrade latex seals, because White's reccomends it for their drysuits, and the latex seals on the Catalyst have seemed to last forever. Plus they're waaaay easier to get into.

Heh. It's a conundrum, isn't it? Make the seals last longer, or, make them easier to fix and replace them more often.

All the best, James

Bare also recommends Seal Saver. I checked with them before I started using it. Just be careful to keep it off of the material of the suit. Coat just the latex and that's it. I use it religiously and exclusively (no talc) and I love it.

What about spraying the latex seals with silicone from the hardware store? Is there anything in the cheapo stuff that will harm the latex or glue?

Some hardware store silicone lubes also have petroleum products which will harm latex. FWIW I lube my zipper teeth (inside) and my seals with silicone and I've never had a problem with adhesion when replacing zippers or seals.

mtbrider:
Some hardware store silicone lubes also have petroleum products which will harm latex. FWIW I lube my zipper teeth (inside) and my seals with silicone and I've never had a problem with adhesion when replacing zippers or seals.

Yeah you'll know if the spray stuff is not pure if it says on the can in in all caps CONTAINS PETROLEUM DISTALLATES since that stuff is bad for your health and should not be used in an enclosed area.

We surveyed dive suit manufacturers when we were working on the divesuit book, and just about every one of them, with the notable exception of, I think it was, OS Systems, said not to use the stuff.

If you use 100% silicone, from a pump spray bottle, or in wipe-on solution, it probably won't hurt the seals, but it will make it harder to repair the suit in the future. If you use "garage" products, with dubious propellants and carriers, its anybody's guess what they'll do. But latex is fussy stuff, so why take changes?

oxyhacker:
We surveyed dive suit manufacturers when we were working on the divesuit book, and just about every one of them, with the notable exception of, I think it was, OS Systems, said not to use the stuff.

If you use 100% silicone, from a pump spray bottle, or in wipe-on solution, it probably won't hurt the seals, but it will make it harder to repair the suit in the future. If you use "garage" products, with dubious propellants and carriers, its anybody's guess what they'll do. But latex is fussy stuff, so why take changes?

Interesting. I have a specific email response from Bare saying they'd recommend it as it will help to keep the seals soft and supple. Those were their exact words.

I use the specific McNett product Seal Saver. It is 100% silicone. I wipe it on by hand and make certain not to get any on the trilam material. I use it on the inside and outside of my latex wrist seals and on the outside of the neoprene neck seal.

fdog:
Seal Saver will degrade the glue on DUI suits, and (especially) make it tough to replace the seals later on.

I know for a fact that it will not degrade latex seals, because White's reccomends it for their drysuits, and the latex seals on the Catalyst have seemed to last forever. Plus they're waaaay easier to get into.

Heh. It's a conundrum, isn't it? Make the seals last longer, or, make them easier to fix and replace them more often.

All the best, James

Thanks for this James - as others has mentioned Whites absolutely reccomends Seal Saver for their seals. I have a backup suit that I have used Seal saver on for years - It has 400-500 dives, and I have yet to replace the the seals.

As others have mentioned - it is petroleum you want to avoid.

Until the next dive,
Tyler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom