Not that I want to meet you, but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
For the past 3 years I've volunteered for Operation Red Nose, and have done so again this year. With another busy night coming (New Year's Eve), I thought I put a plug in for it, and remind folks not to drink and drive.

So not that I want to meet you (if you're in the Ottawa/Gatineau area), but give Operation Red Nose a call to get you home safe, and you never know.....

----- (this is from the local paper)
Red Nose service busier than last year
Jennifer Saltman
The Ottawa Citizen

Operation Red Nose --whose volunteers drive tipsy revelers home in their own cars -- is just about to wrap up another busy holiday season: its 18th.

But Jean-Marc Purenne, manager of human resources, said this weekend that although it's been a busy year, it hasn't been any busier than usual.

"It's an average year," he said, adding he thinks the service will be busier than last year. That increase is expected despite the fact Red Nose will operate for 12 days this year, compared with 14 last year.

So far, the service has received 2,084 calls versus 2,062 at this time last year. This past weekend alone, 237 volunteers, working in 60 teams, handled 249 calls.

While one might think New Year's Eve would be the busiest day of the season for Red Nose's volunteers -- more than 200 calls are predicted for that night alone -- the busiest day is traditionally the Friday before Christmas.

"It's always been the Friday before Christmas. The only reason we can come up with is that it's the time of year for office parties," Mr. Purenne said.

Operation Red Nose is still looking for volunteers for Dec. 31.

To volunteer, call 771-2886 or show up at 120 Charlevoix St. in Gatineau by 9 p.m. For a ride, call 771-AUTO (2886) from 8 p.m. until 4 a.m. The service is free, but donations are welcome. The money goes to youth programs in the Outaouais region.

The Red Cross, meanwhile, is urging party-goers to designate a non-drinking driver and asking hosts to have non-alcoholic beverages for drivers and to arrange alternate transportation for drinkers.

DivingGal once bubbled...
For the past 3 years I've volunteered for Operation Red Nose, and have done so again this year. With another busy night coming (New Year's Eve), I thought I put a plug in for it, and remind folks not to drink and drive.

Thanks for your volunteer efforts. I'm sure that a number of your fellow divers on this board volunteer their time. Btw, this was a great plug for a great public service, hope all goes well for you tommorrow night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom